need a new hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Jun 21, 2002.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

looking for a new hedge trimmer and i would like some of your suggestions,i dont like heavy ones,,,who does!

2. we have 2 sthil hs 45's and the sthil hs 80 but if you want a light one dont get the hs 80 its like trimming bushes with a chain saw thats how heavy that sucker is.
    We also have a echo and its been good to and its light

3. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

My dealer turned me on to maruyama hedge trimmers. Far and away the BEST hedger trimmer I've ever used. The baldes are of superior quality and seem to stay razor sharp forever. I bought a 30" single side model for around $320.00.

4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax CHTZ2500 with swivelle handel there around 12lbs but they cut cricles around my Echo's....Marks Mowing Service

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:eek: I also have the stihl hs85 and it is heavy as he@@....
    I have become used to the weight, but what I the enjoy the most is the power!!! ARGH ARGH ARGH..
    I have a helper and one day we had a job with lots of trimming, so obviously his job was to cleanup the mess(thats the part I hate the most), and he kept bugging me to let him use the trimmer, he was impressed with the power. It was literially thrown on the ground while running, but I was attacked by a mass of hornets:eek: and no problems after 5 years of use. I love it.

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Check out the Redmax hedge trimmers.

I bought a CHT2200 last year and they have been EXCELLENT.

This particular trimmer is the double-sided articulating type...22" blade.

No problems at all...not too heavy...well balanced...excellent power...cut great...and stay sharp longer than any other set I've owned. They have the fabulous Komatsu-Zenoah engine that should last a long, long time.

Not cheap, though.

My next set will also be Redmax. :)

7. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Echo SCH 1700 it's double sided and has 18" blade with extended reach and an 18" weed eater brand works for me.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I find using a hedge trimmer mounted on a shaft to be much faster and easier on my back (better weight balance) than using a traditional trimmer. You can reach further too. I trim blazingly fast with mine. I actually just bought the hedge trimmer head from Echo as a part ($200) and used a heavy duty string trimmer head/shaft that was too heavy for day to day trimming use. It bolted right on and works great. I can convert it back to a string trimmer in about 2 minutes, and it fits any of the echo straight shaft trimmers, I believe.

I like that a shaft trimmer allows you to stand back a little more to size up the shrub while you're trimming. It allows you to shape them better, I think.

9. wilawns

wilawns LawnSite Member

i also have a stihl hs45 its nice and light and i have never had any problems with not haveing enough power. THe light wieght is nice to be able to hold it with one hand for the tops of those tall bushes i was able to pick it up for 300

10. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

My dad just bought a new Stihl HS-45 for father's day and this thing is sweet. We were looking at the HS-80 but it was like 3 pounds heavier. Thhe man at the dealer recommended ths trimmer over aal the Echo's cause it's stronger and it is. We got a 24" and it rocks. My uncle has a Maruyama hedge trimmer and he's had his for 5 years and it starts ever time on one pull and is a great trimmer too. I recommend getting a Stihl or Maruyama.