need a new riding mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ericb, Apr 28, 2002.

1. ericb

ericb LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm kinda new to the business, started custom mowing late last year. I mow all kinds of areas, commercial and residential, i have a Kioti 35 hp tractor with 6 ft. rear pto finish mower ( does a beautiful job ) , 21 in. snaper walk behind, and an old yt12 snaper. The riding snaper is what i need to replace, it never did give a very good cut. I am thinking that I want one of the front deck, zero radius,rear engine mowers with possibly a mulching deck on it. I need something that will give me a very smooth even cut with the least amount of scalping, speed is not as important as a good cut. As I am just getting started I feel that i need to stay under$5,00.00 for the mower. I realize that I may be asking for a cadilac at a ford price. If any one has some input here,I would welcome any suggestions I could get.
    Thank you;
    Eric Blakeman
    Blakeman Services
    Henderson, Ky.
    ericb@henderson.net

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

ericb wrote:

I am thinking that I want one of the front deck, zero radius,rear engine mowers with possibly a mulching deck on it. I need something that will give me a very smooth even cut with the least amount of scalping, speed is not as important as a good cut. As I am just getting started I feel that i need to stay under$5,00.00 for the mower. I realize that I may be asking for a cadilac at a ford price.

Nope, it's more like you're asking for Cadillac at a Yugo price. Husqvqarna makes exactly what you're looking for at around $3,000. I don't know the model number but it has like a 15 horse Briggs engine, mulching deck, articulates (not a zero turn though) and is in your price range. Good luck homeowner.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Actually, you don't quite make sense. If you don't need speed, I'd by a walkbehind, since if speed is not important you can't be mowing for production and profit. Also, a 48" will give "basically" the best cut. A 36 is smaller, but the blades are longer, which forces the machine to be longer and increases the possibilty of scapling. Running double blades on "most any" 48 machine on normal grass will give a super cut, and running one Gator, and one high lift per spindle will "eliminate" mulching "if" the lawn is cut at the correct height. Naturally, your "need" for a super cut, by definition "to me", means you will be cutting at the correct height.
    Pete
    For Pete's Sake

4. ericb

ericb LawnSite Member

Hey guys, thank you so much for the information, actually i did look at the Husqvarna and was impressed, i have had husqvarna chain saws and know they are top quality. I guess in the interest of making my post as short as possible i really didn't explain my situation fully. Speed is important , just not as important as quality. Mowing is a secondary business for me though i hope to expand it. I am a finish carpenter by trade and got my mowing customers by doing other work for these people. the majority of my customers are doctors and lawyers, you know the type.. don't bother me, just send the bill to my secretary. They want their grounds to look pretty and money is not a concern, just quality and dependability so i don't have to mow every cow pasture in the country. I also put in new lawns, fertalize, and weed control.
    Switchless, I see what you are saying about single 36 inch verses 48inch double blades, makes sense to me. Thanks for the suggestion about the gator and high lift blades, i will check into that.Mostly i mow at 2 to 2 1/2 inches every 5 days now in the spring, keeps the fescue lawns really nice looking. once again, thank you guys for the advice, i'm not an expert , i just give my customers what they want and they don't mind paying for it. Seems like we are all happy.
    Eric Blakeman

5. uWave52

uWave52 LawnSite Member

I bought the Rider Pro 15. Overall, I think it is an excellent machine. I have found it to be very maneuverable with plenty
    of power as Husqvarna claims. I only mow a 1/3 acre plot, with
    some trees and bushes, and the Husky can actually fit into some
    really tight spots. I wanted a machine that would primarily mow,
    but also tow implements and allow other attachments, like a snow plow or rotary brush. It is NOT a ZTR, but with a little practice you can mow in a pattern that does not require you to back up to make a tight turn. It gets under trees and bushes very easily, partially because it has no ROPS.

I got mine with the Bio-clip 103 ( 41" mulching only deck).
    The deck flips up in about 1 minute for easy cleaning and
    maintenance. The blades seem to be pretty durable, I know
    I hit a few good sticks and other debris ( fortunately, no rocks)
    and I did not see any blade damage.

The cut, in my opinion, is excellent. After 1 cut, a dethatch
    and a second cut, my lawn looks almost like a golf course
    fairway. I just remulched all of the products brought up by the
    dethatcher back into the lawn ( couldn't afford a lawn sweeper
    yet).

There are 3 models available.
    Rider 16 H- 16HP Briggs Diamond I/C, splash lubrication,
    Tuff Torq K46 hydro transmission. This model is about $3000,
    this is the one that Lowe's carries.

Rider Pro 15- 15HP Kawasaki F451, pressurized lubrication,
    Tuff Torq K62 heavy duty hydro transmission. This model is