1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a new string trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Rinker97, May 16, 2005.

1. Rinker97

Rinker97 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new string trimmer for my home. I currently have a Ryobi 12v battery trimmer that came with me from my old house and I don't think it will be enough for what I have now. I need to be able to trim, cut some open areas, and edge some plantings. I have a gas edger that I use for my sidewalks and driveway.

I'd like a gas model, I don't care if I have to mix oil and gas since I do it for my blower, low vibrations, and maybe even a way to hold it with a belt. I tried the Troy-Bilt TB475 and I didn't like it. I thought it had too much vibrations, the engine didn't run real smooth, and my elbow would get burned from engine heat.

What string trimmer would you recommend and why?
  2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Picked one up last year, great power, and reasonably priced at $199. Will last a homeowner many years.
  3. Knukey

Knukey LawnSite Member

Stihl or Echo either one, you won't go wrong with either. I would buy the one I could get the best price on.
  4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

My only complaint with the Stihl is the head. It doesn't hold much line. I switched mine out to the Husky T-35 head that many on here have raved about. It was the best $25 I've spent in some time. Holds about 30 feet of .105 line and is simple AWESOME when it comes to replacing the line. Their design is superior to the others i've used (in my opinion). Worth checking out.