Need A New Submersible Pump

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cglservice, Aug 4, 2007.

1. cglservice

cglservice LawnSite Member
    from Ky

I am not a Irrigation installer, have a customer that has a large estate, rain bird system 16 zones. 10 zones all have rotors. I have changed a few heads and closed it for the winter and few other minor jobs.
    Problem is pump stops working, the installer that put the original system in about ten years ago comes out and replaces the pump.( OK my conclusion was right). Next visit out I turn on a zone not near enough water coming out :confused: ( the old saying if you won't anything done wright to do it yourself) no over lap of water between heads.
    I pulled the pump it is 10 GPM 3/4 Hp have 15 psi on gauge at the pump house ;)

Here's is the set up lined pond fed by a well pump 1/3 mile away, pond has about 9 ft depth of water.
    From bottom of pond to the highest point of irrigation 12-13 feet. 11 to 12 rotors per zone (replacement rotors were RB 42sa). Irrigating about three acres total. I did not check pipe size :nono: but it is pvc.

This is what I am thinking for a pump
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/7P110

Any suggestion, ideas or advice is greatly welcome
    Thank You

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You need a pump specifically designed to be that close to the surface, which means it will have less stages than a pump that goes deeper in a well. A deep-well pump could blow the system apart. Why not check with a nearby water-well supplier, instead of ordering something with no local support?

3. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

You state that "if you want something done right, you do it yourself" and the next sentence you propose to install a DEEP WELL pump in a 9ft. deep pond ??

4. cglservice

from Ky

Then maybe someone can explain why 7 pages of submersible pumps have them all listed as deep well.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Generic term for such a pump. Some of them will work at up to 50 feet deep. Some of them to well over 500 feet deep. That you don't know the difference does not point to you as the right man for this job. Especially a job that involves working with 230 volt wires entering a body of water. (a practice that is not legal in some states)

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Great point...I'm liking "on demand" if pumping from well...zones don't have
    be close to each other...need 60 psi on a small zone, it'll back down,need
    60 on a rotor zone, ramp-up...check it out...on-demand systems are
    the "thank you thank you" way to irrigate. :)

7. cglservice

from Ky

Wet Boots, my last post was made in a sarcastic way.
    230 volt/3 wire with heat shrink wraps on connection's, There is a electrician to do the wiring install, just trying to find a suitable submersible pump for the job.
    Have a nice week end.

8. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

go read all the nozzles on one zone. count the number of heads, provide us with the nozzle numbers, adn we can tell you how many gallons per minute the systems was designed for.

As an example, if they used number 2 nozzles, and there are 11 heads, then you are REALLY close to the right pump.
    If they have number 5 nozzles, you are toast, and the guy put a smaller pump in then the original.
    An easier answer.
    What size was the old pump pulled out?

9. cglservice

from Ky

Zone 1 which is the farthest from the pump (roughly 400' straight line) that would be the farthest nozzle from pump.
    12 rotors - 2 have 2.0 / 10 have 3.0
    one RB 5000 - 2 RB 42sa - 9 TBird t40

Wish I could get the old pump, already gone not my doings.
    It is plan to see that the pump installed was way to small for the job,need 8' to 10' more spray to have total coverage between heads.

Thanks

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

As quoted many times on this forum..get a new pump guy. Continue to think my earlier post concerning how to control the pump output w/ cycle stop &/or
    cla-val. I agree with Boots about power in the lake.:)