Need a part time job?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snowjeep, Jul 9, 2007.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I am just into this 11 months and have 20 accounts with 3 commercial. With the drought in western new york I am struggling. Anyone have a part time job to have a guaranteed paycheck? I am making enuf for equipment payment, gas, and health insurance. Side jobs are making me a little extra but not enuf to make up for the cutting I have lost.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You gotta be crafty. Get some mulch jobs and bed renovations. There is good money in that.
    Or, deliver pizza in the evenings. That way your meals are paid for!

3. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

UMMMM.....pizza....

By October I'll be delivering pizza or working security at the t!tty bar:nono: There's always next year...

4. SkyLawncare

SkyLawncare LawnSite Member

Hmmm,

I don't actually have a lawncare business yet, but I'm planning to invest in some equipment to be ready for next year. I currently work for the County, but I'd really like to be my own boss, so I have this 5 year goal to be independently self employed.

The only way I can envision being successful at this is to diversify my income streams. Lawn Maintenance will be one stream, but what happens when work dries up as you are saying is happening to you?

I think having only one business, one income stream is short sided and risky. I DO like the business model of having accounts and repeat customers so you get paid over and over from the same client.

Instead of just looking for a part time job until business picks back up, only to have to find another one when business slows down again, how bout looking for a complimentary business that will help you maintain a steady income?

What about starting a very small and part time house cleaning service for example? Low start-up costs, you get accounts where you get paid over and over, just like mowing. Just a thought.

5. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful delivering pizza. Many auto insurance policies exclude coverage for this, and to get the coverage would not make it worth the paycheck you bring in.

Most people you see doing this are uninsured and don't even know it.

6. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

thank God for my other business. If it werent for that money coming in Id be hurting. I have a link to it in my signature.

7. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

OMG just move to Florida, I'm swamped:dizzy:

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

In December you come down here and cut all my accounts for 3 months. I will go back to Buffalo and go skiing at Kissing Bridge. I will pay 10.00 an hour and give you a cot out in the shed. Sweet deal right? Hurry this is a limited time offer! Act now!:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

9. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

Patriot nice offer but that is plow season and I have plenty of contracts since I started that 3 years ago. But that cot does sound inviting!

10. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Dang, actually get paid for cutting grass. Free rent in Florida and a cot!?!? I'm in!!!! See you in december....:drinkup: