1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a plant that can survive plant hell

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by predators2001, Jul 19, 2009.

1. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

yeah..hostas look great in full sun blistering heat......
  2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Hot, sunny, pavement..equals mites. The Ginkos do tend to grow where others wont. The linden would be a tough one. I have seen Zelkovas in some really tough places...but yours sounds a little worse. I fyou can water once in a while and babysit them for a few years (lol) several trees may work...sorta...
  3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely go for a purple robe locust. Locust trees thrive where no others will. Locust trees are routinely planted in old or abandoned strip mine locations.

Attached Files:

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

European linden will handle the raised beds just fine, just don't expose it to the full summer sun all day or they'll be crisper than kentucky fried chicken.

Gingko, a fruitless varity, would be the awesome choice, these plants take a pounding.

Next two are a low growing tree like/large shrub.
    Amur Maple maybe a interesting choice. They seem to do fine here as they are planted around the area gas stations.

Pagoda Dogwood maybe another.

I'd advise you though if this is a public place not to plant anything with thorns I.E. Hawthorne's, barberry. Just remember kids climb trees and I could see little Jimmy running back to mom with a hawthorne spike sticking out his eye.

For shrubish material around the base of trees, the way described, go with pernnials (SP?) such as Day lilly, Hosta, Iris. Snow removal guys will thank you and avoid the evergreens.
  5. GreeneScape Inc.

GreeneScape Inc. LawnSite Member

We found for an area like this an Autumn Red Chokecherry or Canada Red Chokecherry / Prunus virginiana 'Canada Red' works well.
    Both of these trees provide new green foliage that turns dark maroon as the leaves get older, similar to Prunus x cistena in color by June or July. Both trees get 25x18'
    Also with the Hawthorn trees the Thornless Cockspur Hawthorn or Crataegus crus-galli 'Inermis' would solve the thorn problem.
    Hope this helps