Need a powerful hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sooners, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I currently use a craftsman 22" hedge trimmer. It was fine when I just did an occasional hedge, but now I need more power. I trim a lot of fine leafed holly shrubs (don't know the name) and I end up trimming with hand shears because they're too stringy and tough. There's a Stihl dealer close and he's got one around $279 I think it's a 22" and either a 32 or 35cc (don't remember). Anyone have a good recommendation?

And by the way, Lawngodfather if you're out there I'd like to know your secret. How do you have so much time during mowing season to read and answer so many posts?
  2. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, inquiring minds want to know!
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a stihl HS80. It is a bit heavy, but the power that it has is incredible. I have had no problem with trimming. Don't have the specs right now, but it sure has a lot of power.;)
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Any commercial hedge trimmer will do the job for you. Sometimes though, you need to sharpen the blades when you cut through a chain link fence or a copper sprinkler riser, LOL.
  5. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Echo, Shindiawa, Sthil, Red Max, and a few others I am sure I have missed, all make a decent and powerfull commercial unit.
    average price will range between $250 - $400. Try and get at least a 23cc or even a 25cc power unit.
    If I had a choice, I would go with Echo .....
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

One thing is for sure, you want either a dedicated pole trimmer, or buy the trimmer head and put it on your whacker. Using a "chainsaw style" trimmer is ridiculous.
    However, putting the head on your trimmer is way too long for ground cover shrubs. I use the Echo 2400 pole trimmer, which will do a eight foot hedge or ground level shrub perfectly. Also, the Echo has very robust blades that will tolorate a lot of abuse.
    It's about $350, and at this time you should be able to deal with your suppler, since it's the end of the season for buying stuff like that.......
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here we go with the 2 stroke engine power issue again....

How can a hedge clipper be short on power??? Any engine will make those blades move back and forth, you dont need power here. They DO need to be sharpened though. Take them to a saw shop and for like $20 they'll have you cutting like a hot knife through butter.

I just bought the Echo articulated hedge trimmer attachment for my Split boom, and really like it a lot. Its a bit heavier than I expected, but still a lot better than the "chainsaw" type hedgeclippers. Plus it articulates for those real tall hedgerows. Just hold it up and walk along!

I say get the old one sharpened, and clean out the muffler port and put a new plug in it. You'll be as good as new!
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, any commerical trimmer will cut whatever you what. I agree. Horsepower ain't no issue here. I have a 20cc and 24cc machine and both will cut a 3/4" branch on an upright yew.
  9. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

Regarding sharpening my blades: I bought a new set of stainless steel blades but it didn't help. I can cut ok on most shrubs, but this one particular shrub is kicking my tail and I'm tired of hand trimming.
  10. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

If power is lacking maybe your not running the right oil gas mix. I believe sears is 32 to1 and commercial machines are 50 to 1.