need a price

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Toy2, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

OK folks, need help on the following:
    Install 60 feet of steel edging, corners, edges, etc.

Dig up a 7 by 12 section of St. Augustine, dig 3 deep holes for roses, 24" by 18" holes. Lay down weed guard and lay down 8 bags of mulch.

6 to 7 hours to do it, haul the crap away.

How much? I figured $450.00 Am I crazy?

Plus the owner wants me to mow the rest of season.

Help! thanks again. :)

2. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Does that $450 cover everything?

How much does all your materials cost? steel edging, plant material, fabric and mulch?

What about paying to dispose of the debris?

At that pirce, you would probably be able to pay for all material, therefore be working for free.

3. Toy2

jreiff, Thanks for the quick response.

This does include everything:$ 30.00 x 7hours = $210.00

Home depot items:
    Edging:$48.00///exact price
    Mulch:$40.00///exact price
    Top soil:$17.00///exact price
    Fabric:$12.00///exact price
    Dump fee:0

Owner had the plants. total:$327.00

Should I add a % to the materials?
    I told him $450.00, I don't want to rip the guy off, senior and knows alot of people in this town.

Thanks for the advise. :)

4. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

If you feel comfortable with that price, then go ahead with it.

Might take you alittle longer to do. I would go a full day of work, 10 hrs @ $30.

Is tax included in that material price?

Just want to be sure you cover all costs and in the end still make a good profit.

5. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

why are you buying from Home Depot. Buy bulk. You should be able to bet mulch for at most for about $20 a yard and use compost unstead of top soil, unless you know the top soil is good quality. Don't use landscape fabric with mulch unless you are planning a weed garden in the future. I'd do it for about that price but I'd be making about $75 more dollars than you. Just my opinion.

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You can make it cheaper by taking out the fabric. Unless the "mulch" is rock, don't use the fabric. This has been discussed several times...........

7. Toy2

To all of you that responded to my question, thanks.

I called and got some estimates from some companies in town, one quoted me anywhere from $100.00 to $800.00. Another local company gave me a price of $315.00 to do it all///$2.50 a foot to install edging, $6.00 per bag of mulch, $100.00 to remove the grass and dig the holes???

It took me 6.5 hours to do it, I am going to add 20% to the materials and bill for 7 hours. It came out great, have a meeting with someone he knows to edge their new home.....and mow for the season!!

Also trying to hook up with a local landscape supply for better pricing on edging and mulch.

Digging kicked my a$#, need the Tylenol PM's and muscle rub tonight!

Thanks again :)

8. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

If you do more than a few small jobs that require sod removal, look for a manual sod cutter. Will save your back and some time.