need a response asap!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mikey, Mar 26, 2002.

1. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

hi
    i have to go an give an estamite thurs. the lady wants me to
    pull out 2 pine trees about 2 feet tall and transplant them to the front of the house from the back.my question is how nuch do i charge and how do u do it,i neer did a job like this b4 im just starting out this spring and i dont really know the first thing about it can somein e give me a step by step how to..also do i have to put burlap around it and then plant them also do i have to add potting soil in the newly dug holes?help!!!

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

first off, i would charge by the hour for this. Make sure you dig the holes about twice as big as the tree going in. You dont need to amend the soil at all. Ive read countless articles and heard many lectures, and it all came down to that amending the soil doesnt do anything for you. If the trees dig out easily and the root ball is staying in tact and not losing all the soil, id say you dont need the burlap.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I actually just read a article that stated not only does amending the soil around the root ball not do anything.....Its actually detrimental to the health of the plant. Once the roots hit the regular soil it is a shock to the plant after growing in beautiful rich soil.

4. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

excuse my ignorance guys but what do u mean when u all say amend the soil.Also do i just dump the old soil back into the newly planted holes and what do i put back into the old holes
    pottin soil?should i go out and buy some soil?Sorry im stasrting out this spring///

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

By amending the soil, youd be putting in other nutrients like peat moss or other soil enhancers sold. Youd be working those types of things into the old soil there. Its been shown that doesnt really do anything for you though and not needed. Just dig your holes, put the pine trees back in, and fill the holes in with the dirt you dug out.

6. tramahor

tramahor LawnSite Member

Is the tree really 2 feet tall or 20 feet? Also if your not sure of what your doing maybe you should let this one go and stick to mowing, after you get more exp. you can go after landscaping jobs.

Ramirez Landscaping Co.

p.s. The reason I say this is I have learned the hard way over the years like so many of us here have as well.

7. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

1. Wet plant prior to digging it up. Helps hold root ball
    2. Did your new hole at least 2 times as wide
    3. Dig out tree
    4. place in hole, lay shovel over the hole to gague your depth. Make sure you do not plant to deep. You'll be fine if it is about 1/2 inch above soil line.
    5. Back fill hole with original soil and tamp lightly
    6. Water in well.
    7. your done should take about 10 min per plant

8. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

If these trees really are only 2 feet tall each then I wouldn't charge by the hour since it's only going to take your about 30 or 40 minutes.