Need a second opinion on ZTR purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BCF150, Apr 19, 2011.

1. BCF150

BCF150 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I could use a little help choosing a new mower. I’ve narrowed it down to two very similar models and just want some second opinions before I make the purchase. I've done my research and inspected them at the dealer, but would llike your opnions in case I've missed something.

The models I’m considering are the Bob-Cat Procat and the Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ 152. I don’t have experience with either brand but reviews are mostly positive for both companies. Dealer support will be the same as my dealer sells both brands. So here are the specs:

Bob-Cat ProCat - $6400
    22hp Kawasaki FX w/ Donaldson
    Hydro-Gear 12cc Pumps and Parker wheel motors – 11 mph
    13x6.5 front and 23x10 rear wheels
    52” fabricated deck – 10 ga top, 7 ga sides and reinforcements
    Warner Mag 225 lb-ft electric clutch
    Weight is 1256 lb
    Includes spring suspension seat
    5 yr / 500 hr warranty

Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ 152 - $6300
    24hp Kawasaki FX w/ Donaldson
    Hydro-Gear ZT3400 – 10 mph
    13x6.5 front and 23x10.5 rear wheels
    52” fabricated deck – 7 guage
    Ogura GT2.5 clutch
    Weight is 1053 lb
    Includes spring suspension seat
    2 yr warranty

So the Bob-Cat has the better warranty and maybe a better drive system (still learning the differences). The Gravely has a more powerful engine, heavier deck, weighs less and is a little cheaper. I’m not sure which has the better frame, but they both look very well built So which would you choose and why considering that I maintain three apartment complexes that I cut every two weeks, so nothing like running these everyday.

Thank You

2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

Which dealer do you like better?

3. BCF150

BCF150 LawnSite Member

The same dealer sells both brands, so dealer support and service would be the same.

4. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I have a 2010 proturn 152 I bought new last year, you will be very pleased if you choose it. The cut is great and it's just a tough, well built mower. I have had no problems and run it five days a week. The 3400 hydros are very smooth as well, and the 24 hp Kawi is great whether discharging or mulching.

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

How many hours per year do you think will be used? If under 100/yr, the Bobcats 5ry warranty sounds good to me.
    Im sure both will do the job. You need to demo them side by side in same conditions to see which you like to drive and cuts best. If they are pretty much the same, I would go with the warranty!

6. Chevy z71

Chevy z71 LawnSite Fanatic

I would pick gravely a n american workhorse since 1916.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

to be honest i wouldn't get either one lol. you can get a john deere z910a 54" 7 iron pro deck with 22hp kawi and 13cc pumps for just a little more. $7000

8. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally would probably choose the Bobcat for both the warranty, stronger built deck, and a little bit faster. I also I more familiar with the brand of hydro pumps on the Bobcat than I am with the one on the Gravely. That could just be my own ignorance on that though

9. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

The Gravely deck is all 7-guage, the Bobcat has 10 guage top and 7 guage sides.

10. BCF150

BCF150 LawnSite Member

BINKY, thank you for responding. I was hoping to get at least a couple from people who actually use the mowers I'm looking at. I'm glad you like yours and its good to hear that you are running it 5 days a week without any issues.

I do like the warranty on the Bob-Cat. I would only put around 100 or so hours a year on the machine it would give me 5 yrs of warranty.

Which one has the better drive system? The Gravely with the Hydro-Gear ZT-3400 or the Bob-cat with the separate 10cc Hydro-Gear pumps and Parker wheel motors?