1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a small, Clean Ornamental Tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by White Gardens, Oct 25, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Fruit trees have been a thorn in my side the last couple of years. Crab apples especially. Fruitless would be great, but what has been happening is that the Japanese beetles have been such a destroyer of fruit trees the last 5 years. I'm so anti-chemical when it comes to flowering trees only because I don't like killing off pollinators. Seven works good after the blooming period, but to get the best affect, imidicloprid (SP?), or Merit has worked to keep trees from being de-foliated, but, since it's systemic, does it work it's way into the bloom and kill pollinators.

It so aggravating, and I'm sure all you guys think I'm an idiot and can't choose a tree that will work. I'm just picky, even if my client isn't

I do like the idea of a Hawthorn though, I like the shape and size, and just might work in this situation.

Thanks for all your help to everyone that has posted, definitively helps to get the opinions of others who like to be unique and creative.
  2. lot0210

lot0210 LawnSite Member

Dog wood would look nice in that area.
  3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

What about a flowering pear? Not a lot of mess, beautiful blossoms, nice smell, and they are about bullet proof, Japanese beetles here don't touch them.
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Wiegelias are my favorite and one day I will learn to spell it.
  5. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Styrax, that's what I was thinking too but I don't know what grows well in that area. Agree that it's under used and great small tree.
  6. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

I really like Tom's suggestion of Paperbark Mape (Acer griseum) great choice for small area and has one of the best peeling barks out there. You may consider the Samaras to be messy though.
  7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

It would do great in IL. I never put one in where the client did not like it. Once I use it I usually get a referal out of it. People are tired of the same old trees.
  8. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

How about a weeping cherry or upright cherry, there easy to take care of and can be prunned every 2-3 years to keep it the size you want for a while.
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Paper Bark Maples that I have seen get up to 50- 100 feet. Would be way to big for that area. U Of I spent 40,000 on transplanting a paper-bark maple that was in the way of construction. Supposedly it is one of the oldest and largest paper-bark maples in the US.

The Styrax looks to get up to 40 feet also, judging by some of the info I've seen on-line. Looks to be an awesome tree, and I plan on using it somewhere else in the future. I never even knew it existed.

I think I'm now going with a Autumn Brilliance Service-Berry. I think the size and shape is exactly what I'm looking for, and it is an under-used tree in this area and it will get me the results I want.

Thanks again, this thread turned out to be good education on ornamental trees.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a gingko?