Need a small, Clean Ornamental Tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by White Gardens, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

For SOME reason...we just don't have the same issues with mimosas in S. Ohio, Whitey! :waving:

Maybe it's because of the (generally) colder winters of the Midwest, and/or the somewhat shorter growing season?
    I don't know!

I just know that in addition to our OWN back yard, I have at least half a dozen clients around here with fully mature mimosas, with seemingly next to no problem with seeing any mimosa seedlings emerge in adjacent areas of their landscape.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get the proper pruning techniques for this specific variety. I told her I'll come back and do it next season.

We generally have a fair amount of wind movement in this smaller town, and a good breeze gets in that back yard. but I agree, there will be some humid, hot, still nights in the summer and I"ll have to watch out for mildew.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If she's sold on a crabapple, look at the 'Molten Lava' variety. I prefer the form over the 'Red Jewel' around a patio. Both hold their berries through winter, so birds will get them before they hit the ground. It is more disease resistant also, the leaves keep a nice green till the fall.

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Sorry I was thinking 'Red Jade', a horizontal branching tree. I still think if you prune the Molten lava up it will be nicer, but for an upright try 'Sugartyme' very disease resistant. I still like the 'Autumn Brilliance' too, what about a Red Buckeye, or 'Pagoda Dogwood'. I know your customer picked one out already, I've just seen that variety drop it's leaves by midsummer, and rarely does it not get some sort of leaf problem.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, project has been done for a week now.

I wanted to get some pics of the area, but everything has been frosted good so it doesn't look the greatest. I was going to wait till next season to do pics there and on two other properties I installed earlier this season.

Thanks for the post jaybird, I like how this thread has turned into a great discussion on trees for small areas.