1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a Trimmer and Edger for $800. What you think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CtrlAltElite, Apr 25, 2013.

1. CtrlAltElite

CtrlAltElite LawnSite Member

Have $800 to spend a trimmer and Stick edger. Looking for something thats going to LAST! What do you recommend? Have basically all dealers by me. How are Honda trimmers?
  2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Kawasaki trimmer
  3. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl Kombi.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

honda trimmer or husqvarna 324ldx trimmer.

husqvarna 324ldx trimmer with edger attachment.

you could actually kill 2 birds with 1 stone and just get the husqvarna 324ldx and buy the edger attachment to use with it. that way you will have a trimmer and an edger for around $450.
  5. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FS90r and Stihl FC90 if you want serious power. The trimmer can cut through anything without even bogging down at all! The edger can cut rocks! I think they are a little overpowered, but if you want power... that's what I use. The valve adjustment takes like 3 minutes but make your dealer explain it to you before buying.

I use Stihl because after many MANY hours of beating them up they never fail me. I also never find myself wishing I had more power. There is a reason they are #1 selling brand in hand helds.
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what Im running.
  7. If you MUST HAVE both I hear the Stihl setup that Jims Local Lawn has is great. But I would skip the edger, and just go for high power trimmer with Shindaiwa fixed head and a good spool of line. The money saved can go to beer. You can thank me later.

Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I recently acquired the big Honda 35cc string trimmer (~$400 tax included)...lotsa reserve power and edges WAY better than my previous entry level commercial string trimmers (Stihl & RedMax). I practically never need more than 1/2 throttle using .095 line while edging.

2 pulls to start in the AM...1 pull for the rest of the day. Impressively quiet for the beast that it is.
  9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

There ya go, you could probably get a good deal on one too since Kawasaki will no longer be producing/selling the handheld stuff after December of this year and dealers are dumping them in fire sales to clear them out so they can bring in a new line to replace them.
  10. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

x2. I have the FS90R, and currently run a FC75 (two stroke), but if it ever fails, I will probably be buying either the FC90, or picking up a Kombi Powerhead and edger set up.

Ive been very happy with the stihl equipment so far. I also recommend a separate edger. Trimmers can do the edging, but the actual edgers to a bit of a cleaner job in my opinion.