1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a Trimmer and Edger for $800. What you think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CtrlAltElite, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Kawasaki awesome machine. Mines got the 33cc TH34 motah. No issues.

Posted via Mobile Device
  2. CtrlAltElite

CtrlAltElite LawnSite Member

The Redmax dealer by me carrys Kawa. How are Redmaxs compared to Kawa and Honda?
  3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Guessing you'll be able to get Kawasaki parts for awhile after they get out of the handheld market at the end of this year.

I believe RedMax makes a fine product. Husqvarna owns RedMax, fwiw.

Some will disagree, but running ethanol-free 89+ octane fuel will up your chances of being problem-free from fuel/ethanol related issues.

Buy as much power as you can...you may find you won't even need a separate dedicated stick-edger.
  4. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl. I love mine.
  5. CtrlAltElite

So people are saying saying stay away from 4 stroke. (Honda). Stihl seems to have best weight to power ratio, but issues starting over time and carb problems. Not to much info on Redmax. Although people who do have them love em. Just looking for a last lasting, trouble free, powerful, light weight, residential trimmer. lol seems like alot to ask.
  6. I would not worry about parts for Kawasaki. They are built to last. PERHAPS gas tank grommets, fuel filter, etc. But rods, bearings, rings, pistons, clutch, ignition.... by the time you need to replace those items just get a new one as parts n labor ill kill ya . Of course that's assuming you use proper fuel mix ratio and NOT let er sit for more than a couple weeks. B-).
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I'm new to the Honda game, so I can't talk about reliability over time. I did do my homework and made my decision based on my desire for added power and reliability with good reviews. You can read my review here in the Equip section.

Because a true 4-stroke doesn't require mixed gas, I'll be saving money down the road (no 2-stroke oil)...and coupled with added fuel efficiency it has already begun to pay for itself, so to speak. It's super quiet/powerful and there's no stench.

This 35cc Honda is a heavy trimmer comparatively and will guess it at 1.7-1.8hp. I'm solo, so I use it when I need it and it's no big deal.

If you want light, then it would be hard to beat Husky's 326LS with 1.2hp at just 9 lbs.
  8. Hondas are great machines. Had one no issues. Gave it to brother - in - law.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Great suggestions, but for serious power out of a dedicated edger the FC110 is the way to go.

To the OP I'll throw in another vote for the Stihl Kombi, go with the 110 or if you're a power junkie the 130 is a beast and you'll never be short on power for running attachments. If I'd ever enter the biz on my own again I'd run the exact same set up I had which was an FC90 and a KM130 for my edger, hedge trimmer and back up trimmer.
  10. CtrlAltElite

Thanks for all the help. Got me a Redmax 2350s. Now I need a edger
    Posted via Mobile Device