need a trimmer recomendation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nevets93, May 10, 2008.

1. nevets93

nevets93 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

okay- ive been reading a lot of post today and i think ive decided on what i want in a trimmer.

*something to trim stuff around the house(not trying to cut down bamboo or anything)
    *something that won't wear me out after trimming various places in my 2 acre yard.
    *straight shaft
    *i really dont wanna spend more than $150
    *it only needs to last me a couple years, not looking for a lifetime purchase

2. nevets93

nevets93 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

also, what is your opinion on buying a used Echo on ebay possibly?

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing in the commercial line of products such as Stihl and Echo is likely to fit your budget, even their lower end homeowner grade trimmers tend to run into 180-210... Then you have to know a little about 2-cyclers to use one, any brand can be the best or the worst depending on your own experience... I can't recommend a trimmer that will Wow you for sure, but I do know some are better than others.

The only homeowner brand I have ever used, and will consider using again, that I can use as if it was a commercial brand, would be Ryobi. Their small engines are peppy and love to revv, no hesitation or surging or any nonsense, I haven't used many homeowner brands but Ryobi in my opinion is one of the better ones.

Now I did a little searching and found a trimmer, it doesn't appear to be very popular but then only one person thus far has written a review... I would, however, if you were to purchase this trimmer ask them about return policies and maybe consider buying an extended warranty (if they have that) just in case.
    Thou I dare say it could very well be the person who wrote the review isn't up to par with 2-cyclers...
    Either way KEEP your receipt!

I think if a user would read the manual and follow the instructions, maybe come back here and ask some questions if they have trouble, then it is very possible this $119 Model RY30951 would give years of decent service.

It's up to you, but it is hard finding much under 200...
    Anyhow:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...5088&AID=10368321&cj=true&srccode=cii_5784816

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

5. topsites

I can tell you this much for a starting procedure:

As for the primer bulb, you only need to press it until there is fuel in it.
    That primer bulb is the carburetor bowl, if there is fuel in it there's no need to press it. It's not a "primer" as in give it extra fuel, it's just there IF it has no fuel then you need to prime it, why they are transparent and you can see through.

So anytime there is any fuel inside that primer bulb, do NOT press it!
    If there's no fuel inside the bulb then prime it until there is some.
    The bulb doesn't have to be FULL of fuel, just has to have some.

Then:
    NO throttle.
    Choke ON.
    Pull it once FULL, maybe twice but no more.
    Then choke OFF.
    Pull it again.

It should sputter to life.

If that doesn't work, try the above again except when choke OFF try pulling with full throttle. Either way the manual should detail this but do NOT prime the stupid bulb 7 times every time, that guy flooded his Ryobi is why he had trouble.

That or spend the 200+

6. nevets93

nevets93 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

well then how about a $30 weedeater from wally world...

7. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Why did you start another thread on the exact same topic? Anyway, I would say shell out a tiny bit more money than you really want to and get an Echo srm-210. Great trimmer for the money and they come with a five year residential warranty. You can buy them at Home-Depot or an Echo dealer. I would reccomend trying to find a dealer before buying at Home Depot because it will be easier to have it fixed if anything goes wrong. Hope that helps and good luck finding a trimmer!

8. nevets93

nevets93 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

iono, i thought i changed the subject... ;P

9. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

10. topsites

Will it suffice to say that for a decent trimmer you really need to spend a couple of hundred?