Need a Tub Grinder

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirtman2007, May 21, 2011.

1. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Does anyone know of a place that rents a tub grinder in NC? I know their not the easiest thing to find but I'd like to rent one for a 8 acre clearing job I have.

Owner wants to clear everything off 8 acres and grind it all up then spread all the wood chips on the ground for errosion control.

Im trying to do all the job myself so I really dont wanna bring in another contractor to grind it all.

Or do you think it would be better to rent a big excavator with a mulcher on the end? nothing is over 10-12" in diameter and is all pine. I've got a logger thats gonna come in and get all the logs for pulp wood so all I'll have left is stumps and tree tops.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I would look at getting a Fecon type machine unless you have to go deeper than 6" or so. Looks like it would be faster than a grinder mounted on a boom. I would also check into renting a grinder head for your Takki also if it has enough HP and flow.

3. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

You wont find somone to rent a grinder to you short term, the maintenance on them is to great and they are very tempermental.. All you can do is hire a grinding contractor to come in and do it for you. If all you are going to have is tops and stumps, use a fecon style mulcher. An hourly rate to hire someone with a tub or horizontal is in the $350-$450 an hour range. We have a Morbark 6600 horizontal on a 40 acre job right now grinding an orange grove. We are taking the mulch back to our yard and regrinding it with color and maknig a premium mulch out of it, in the neighborhood of 8000-9000 yards...