Need a vacation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Paulsen, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

How do you one man operations take a week vacation in the middle of summer if you are on weekly accounts?

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not many people who are running a business who own it have a very hard time taking any vacation time at all. Our vacation time ended in the middle of Jan. We take our vacations during winter when it is slow. Really can't have a vacation during peak time. (It would be like Tiger Woods taking a vacation the weekend of the Masters)

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 02-02-2001 at 10:51 PM]

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We take a week between snowplowing and mowing in March and again in the late fall after leaves and before snowplowing. It is about impossible to take more than a long weekend in the Summer.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't happen here! I take advantage of the winter months, but the summer takes advantage of me.

5. lawndog

lawndog LawnSite Member

I take a month or so off from Christmas on. Way to busy to take time off during mid-summer.Just started back to it for spring cleanup a couple of weeks ago.Mow on, Lawndog.

6. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Took two mini-vacations last summer. Both times I was sure to be caught up and at least two days ahead of schedule. This worked out fine for me. Went to the beach once and to Biloxi once to see a show.

7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Still waiting to take one LOL

8. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

Last year I got 2 long weekends in. One at the end of August and the other in late September. All I do is tell my clients about it and mow a day early. We leave late afternoon Thursday and come home Monday.
    The only snafu I worry about is the weather. It's great being able to get away even if it's only for a few days.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have a couple of guys that can pick up the slack for me for a week.

when they go on vacation they come to me for the same.

GEO

10. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I live in a perfect island culture.
    I sometimes have to take a break from the babes and waves to go cut some grass.
    But I ALWAYS take a six-pack and a special island cigarette for the ride!

LOL!!!