Need a weed ID'd, please

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by F6Hawk, Sep 3, 2004.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Anyone recognize this? And will MSMA take it out?

Reminds me of a Mimosa tree. If allowed to grow, they get an almost tree-like stem, too.

Live in UCLA, the Upper Corner of Lower Alabama.

Thanks!

weed.jpg

2. stickybow

stickybow LawnSite Member

There is a small bushy, flat-topped tree with leaves that look like Mimosa that has naturalized from Maryland to Florida -- silk tree. I have a couple of Mimosa-looking 'weeds' that have popped up and I am letting them go to see if this is what they are. They now have little beans on them. Silk trees should have had pink flowers.

3. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

The weed you have is Chamberbitter. Rather than type a discourse on it.......I'll simply cut and paste. I am dealing with this weed on several of my prop's this year. You will need to wait until late September and hit them with Atrazine, even then they are going to be tough to kill. Pulling them is another option.......and much more immediate in it's result. These things have a tap root so grab em low if you can.

http://www.aces.edu/Tallapoosa/weed-control/chamberbitter.htm

Chris

4. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

You nailed it, Chris, thanks a lot!

I have sprayed both Atrazine & 2-4,D on the yard this year, though it was earlier. Gotta be careful, as I have a mix of centipede/bermuda in places, but I think I will try to spot treat with each of these again, and see which knocks the bitter weed down.

Thanks again for the positive ID!