1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a Zero Turn w/ stipulation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CtrlAltElite, Aug 26, 2013.

1. CtrlAltElite

CtrlAltElite LawnSite Member

Have almost an acre. Half is fenced with 2 ways to get in back through a 47" gate. Have been push mowing this for 3 years. Need a ZT mower with a total width no wider than 46". Was looking at the Toro Timecutter 4260. It is 45.6" with deflecter up. Or Gravely ZT34. About a $300 dollar difference. Like the Kawi and cut size of the Toro, but think Gravely is better quality? Very hard finding a small ZT to fit through my gates.
  2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

How about a wider gate so you could get at least a 48 in there?
  3. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that.... More & more fence companies here are going even wider than 48" now when building new fences ( privacy).. Most are doing like 5ft gates, a heck of a lot easier & can sneek the ZT in the back yards now...
  4. CtrlAltElite

CtrlAltElite LawnSite Member

Def crossed my mind. Trying to stay around d the 3K mark. Once a week cut on almost an acre. What would you recommend other than the two I posted? Are toros bad?
  5. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Years ago, I had a 30" Dixon that would be perfect for such a situation. It would fit through most any gate and with it's single blade, gave a BEAUTIFUL cut.

They don't make the same one now. They used to have a mechanical transmission that I kept working easily because I knew how to maintain it. They make the same mower now with hydraulics and it can be had brand new for $2,299. Even though this is only a 30" cut machine, it would surprise you how fast you can cover ground with one of the little things.

My $0.02,
  6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI