Need Add-On $$$$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QUALITY LAWNCUTS, Mar 13, 2003.

1. QUALITY LAWNCUTS

QUALITY LAWNCUTS LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have been reading a whole lot on this site and it is great. I want to be able to *** extras after the lawn maintenance part of it so my question is how much should i charge for remulching beds for a sq. yard? and what is dethatching? and if you can give me some other ideas on how to add extra profit and what I should charge for the services.
    Thanx for the advice fellas

2. QUALITY LAWNCUTS

QUALITY LAWNCUTS LawnSite Member

Sorry guys that *** was supposed to say earn extra $$$$$

3. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Power rake/De-thatching is raking all the dead debris such as dead grass mater do to PH imbalances or excessive mulching.
    Plenty of advice on this forum just search for subject ''mulch''.:D

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, that's not true. Thatch is something that is just a natural byproduct of turfgrass. All kinds of turfgrass produce thatch. But not all lawns end up with thatch build-up problems. The reason is because some kinds of turfgrass break down thatch about as fast as they accumulate it (e.g. Perennial Ryegrass). While other types of turfgrass produce thatch much faster than they can break it down (e.g. most Fescues). So you end up with thatch build-up over time in some lawns.

It is a misnomer that mulching causes thatch buildup. If done properly, mulching shouldn't add or detract to the build-up of thatch at all.

And I haven't ever read that pH is a cause of thatch either. I just went back to my text "Turfgrass Management" (kind of the quintessential book on turfgrass practices) and read what it had to say about thatch in there. And I didn't see any references to pH. But that could be a factor, I don't know.

5. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

I was referring to excessive mulching like say the lawn is cut every two weeks and mulched, builds up faster than brakes down. Thanks Jimlews. :)

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Right, I understand. But I've read that this doesn't actually increase thatch build-up like most people think. Finely chopped up grass clippings aren't the same as thatch. And apparently, they don't add or detract to a thatch problem, from what I've read.

7. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

Right again sir. People have been mislead alot when it comes to thatch! Anyone can rake up dead grass. At takes a whole lot more to truely dethatch a lawn.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

This is a totally unsientific observation - I have no clue as to how much thatch should be there - how and when you should dethatch etc. all I know is

1. I used to bag the grass because I fertilize heavily and I had heard that the thatch would build up too much. I quit bagging about 4 years ago and the lawn has never looked better - WOW - return to the earth what is hers.

2. I Hate to even mention this in case the thread gets started again, but I do use the 1/3 rule in mowing. I finish mow - do not let the grass get away. With gator blades we mow when wet or dry.

By the way - I am in Blue Grass country - fescue - rye (to get lawns started type country) SE. Iowa.

Thanks, Brad[​IMG]

mowed lawn - 504 wapello.jpg