Need addresses?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 1MajorTom, Jan 7, 2002.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I started this thread for any members that may be interested in targeting a small subdivision of houses, and they know the street names where the houses are but need the homeowners names and house numbers.

Go to your local library.

Dickman's puts out a criss/cross directory which is a reference guide.
    At our libraries these books are kept behind the desk. You can not check them out, nor can photo copy any of the pages.
    The libraries lease these books every year, so the information is always current.

So say you know your street name. Let's say it's Woodland Avenue

You lookup Woodland, then copy all the names and house numbers.

This is just an idea for anyone that wants to target a few small areas.

One final added note.
    Call your library first to see if they carry these. Our libraries lease the criss/cross directories from Dickman. Other libraries in the U.S. may use other companies.

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

you can also use a haynes criss cross directory which im sure is similar to the one mentioned above.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Also R.L.Polk publishes city directories for many cities. You can look up by name, alphabetically. Or by address, in order by streets and increasing numbers, with cross streets indicated. Or, in some, by phone numbers in numerical order.

City directories often even list the unlisted phone numbers of many people. Will tell if the person or address is a homeowner or renter. Often gives the occupation of the resident. Also an easy way to find the actual owner of a business, just by looking up the business name.

Many businesses get and keep the city directory every year for future reference. If you try to get credit, and list yourself as being at your address for 20 years, they just look you up in the 1985 directory to see if you were there then.

Our library keeps 3 of them, one for county and 2 for the 2 larger cities in county, glued to podiums, so they are readily accessible, and can't get taken. Others are behind reference desk.

4. My mother does locating for a reunion service. The sent her similar on CR ROM's. I will see if I can get the name of them and post it.

It has "EVERY" (even unlisted) phone number, and can be used as a reverse directory.

However I do know that they were not cheap.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Jodi,

Have you ever used this approach?

I haven't and am interested in seeing what kind of response to this direct mailing.
    Seems to me that you may want to include a business card, fridge magnet ...something besides just a piece of paper.

6. A+Elawnservice

A+Elawnservice LawnSite Member
    from nj

7. Another good source for free lists is your county tax assessor if they are on line. I can do a search by street numbers and a high/low# stop and start. Its the most current info and has address owners name.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote: Jodi,
    Have you ever used this approach?

Sorry Kris, I didn't see your question until just now, or I would have responded sooner.

Nope, never tried this before. I'm not sure if this will work either. Only sending out a small amount of postcards to specific streets which have houses that we would like to add on as fertilizing customers.
    I will bring this thread back up though in the spring and post our results with actual numbers such as how many we sent out, how many calls we got, how many estimates we went on, and how many jobs we landed. Hopefully I won't be posting a big fat zero.:rolleyes:

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Thanks Jodi ... should be interesting

10. solaras

solaras LawnSite Member

I got all this info from the County Property Appraiser's Website. Took me 5 minutes from my computer. I removed the names, Sorry!!

Attached Files: