need advertising ideas

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by birddseedd, Mar 9, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have the time, for door hangers door to door with prices on the hangers. it works very well if you do it the right time of year

2. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

That is your best money spent first. First impressions speak louder than a flashy flier. Fix your truck/trailer image and get it professionally lettered first.

3. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you give details about your experience with YP.com? I considered using them but noticed red flags anytime i had a conversation or email with them.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure you're not running crappy equipment, driving clapped out pickups or using an el camino. Make sure your work is top quality and reputable. Be reliable. Offer a referral program that gives your current customer a reward for offering your name.

Door hangers can offer you success. Make sure is it clean, simple, to the point. Also try to use proper spelling and grammar. Otherwise come accross as incompatent and inbred. You are running a business, make sure you concuct your self as a business and a business owner.

5. crichardson

crichardson LawnSite Member

Vinyl graphic on rear glass of truck if possible. Door hangers. Flyers at heavy traffic restraint or gas stations (private owned), this has worked for me.

6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Magnetic signs last year not one job from them.

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I am doing an add in the local weekly newspaper this year. Circulation 44,000.

I wanted to do EDDM. To expensive for me. Maybe next year.

Last year I only did flyers. I got a call in November from a flyer given out in the summer for snow removal. Got a new customer for snow, and while talking found out they were not happy with their current LCO. So I gave them a price for landscape business and got that as well. I have to do a clean up for them next week. Also got their friend for snow as well.

Today I got a call from a lady where I gave out flyers in the beginning of last summer. Tomorrow I am going to do an estimate for them.

It is a numbers game. 1 % of 100 is 1. 1% of 1,000 is 10. Advertising is a numbers game.

When people state that advertising gets a 1 - 2 % return they leave out that that is the best return. Best does not mean average return on an ad. And that return only means response to the ad, not actual new sales.

Last year I got 8 calls from 2,500 flyers. A .32 percent response. That lead to 8 estimates given. 4 customers gained or 50 % of those that responded.

Now out of the local newspaper with 44,000 circulation. If I get the same percentage of response as from the flyers that means I will get 137 responses. Then if I were to have the same closure rate. I would gain 68 new customers.

What am I getting myself into. Quick who knows where I can a good deal on a second truck, trailer, loaded up with all the equipment, and a crew? :laugh:

Any way Bird, you just got to get out there putting out more flyers then last year.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  8. Mayor of Mow Town

Mayor of Mow Town LawnSite Member

There is so much more to advertising than numbers.

You also need to factor in:
    - consideration of your target market
    - crafting an effective message
    - appropriate visual design
    - placing ads in the right place at the right time for optimal response
    - closing the deal once a prospect contacts you
    etc

I would rather spend time on the points above and increase the % return, rather than double the amount of eyeballs.

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

also, there are a lot of assumptions here. some say they never got a job from their truck lettering. this may be true. When the phone rings and you ask where they got your number they say "the website". but in reality they saw your lawn sign 3 weeks ago, saw the truck 4 times in the neighborhood, saw 2 guys wearing your shirt mowing a lawn on her block, then googled "lawn care, bumbleazoo" and ended up on your website. you need to be multifaceted.

10. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the calls you get, will not come through, but your bill will come through. Just about every other call you get, and have to pay for, are from other companies wanting to sell their services.

Overall, I only got one customer.