Need Advice About Lawn Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ron, Jun 7, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Since my fall on May15,2001 I have a compressed fracture T-12 Vert
    I will be out of work for 8 weeks and have to wear a cash brace.
    last visit to the Dr he says NO MORE.....
    I have so much invested into my lawn care business,that I do not want to throw it all away..I have lost 97% of my 43 clients and still climbing....I am really falling apart here lost everything except my health,family and equipment..what should I do.... any suggestions please....:dizzy: :cry:

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

ron,
    Sorry to hear your continued misfortune. You could become a consultant, or do fert/herbicide applications (not as physical) or sell your equipment and route before all is lost. There are many things in life besides lawn maintenance, dont get down, use it to you advantage.

Keep us posted:)

3. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

Try as hard to keep your spirits high. You might want to do what everyone is telling you to do and hire guys to do the work. Also I thought you were going to be a working for the police. Just keep us posted

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Hi Ron,

I really hate to hear that this has happened to you and that it's getting you down.

Is there any chance that you could recover those accounts, hire a guy or two, and do the scheduling, maintenence, aquiring new accounts, etc?

I have an uncle in Michigan who is an LCO (about 400 accounts now) who has been having skin cancer problems in recent years and the doctors told him that he MUST stay out of the sun as much as possible. He hired a couple of extra guys and they do the cutting, etc. He devoted himself to expansion of his business and handles the maintenance, customer relations, books, etc.....and is making more moolah than ever before. Now that he is not out in the field all day he can concentrate totally on making his business larger and more efficient.

Keep your chin up and maintain a positive attitude. Remember that F.D.R. brought our country out of the Great Depression and guided us to victory in WWII... all while crippled with polio. You too can overcome your setback and come out on top. :)

I'll be sending POSITIVE thoughts your way and good luck in whatever it is you decide to do!

Peace!

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ron, don't worry if you lost all your customers this fall is like spring all over, more money doing clean-ups, and hedges. you are going to have to advertise to get the sales where you had them before. once you are aloud to work give your customers a call and see if they would like to switch back to you. good luck to you ron.

6. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Ron,
    I think you need to put together a letter explaining your circumstances. keep a good repore with your customer base. Many of them will be simpathetic to your situation. You need a game plan. Some other members have said hire. I agree. Place a add. Get some help. It is time for you to oversee the work. Become the boss. Once you have found some help and have trained them to your liking. It will time to go and find more work. Don't worry it is out there. It ain't gonna be easy but it will get better. Don't wait to do this. Put together your plan. Share your plan in a letter to your customer base and explain that you will still over see the work to keep the same quality that they expect. I think you will be pleasantly suprised by the loyality of many of your customers.

Keep us informed.

I know you can do it.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

one thing to think about, not many lcos have a full
    time sellsman and coordinator. you might try to find a good man to do the physical stuff. then u grow the buisiness. just a thought.

8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I think that letter is a great idea. You might also want to include a section about what you learned through this experience and the NEW plan you now have (make one :))to make sure the customers don't have to worry about losing you again. Also mention an employee training plan for qualiy, customer care, and SAFETY.