Need advice about my Kawasaki carb

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by matthew horner, Sep 21, 2006.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I've been so happy with my mower. Hustler with a 25 horse Kawasaki. Has just north of 300 hrs on it.

Last week, it started (first start in morn) cut off, and I had troubles getting it going again.
    It appeared to be flooded.

I got it going and it would not start on my first job (didn't even get it off the trailer).

I can see fuel sitting in the air intake housing just outside of the carb.
    If I get this fuel out and drain the float and run it and run it and run it SOMETIMES it starts and SOMETIMES it stays running long enough for me to keep it going. The other day I did all my jobs without turning the mower off until the last job.

What a headache.

New plugs. Meticulous maintenance. The only thing is the valves, but its just got over 300 hours.

I took the carb off and cleaned it twice! Afterwards it would run fine, but after a cool off from hot, it would flood again. Float seemed to be working fine.

Today it backfired after turning it over and over for 15 seconds and trying it with start fluid.

This is getting ridiculous.

Any suggestions/diagnosis?

matthew

BY the way, when I pull the plugs, they don't look wet???

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a one doing about the same. tore the carb apart 3 times,soaked,blew out and reinstalled. each time it would run good for about 10 minutes then it would go to crap. on top of the carb there are about 6 non accessable passageways that can't be taken apart and cleaned. i guess that was where the problem was because i bought a new carb and all has been fine for over 30 days. the carb cost 245.00 but i spent that much in time trying to get the old one to work. that carb kicked my butt. i'm not telling you to run out and get a new carb. just check everything before you do. good luck

3. matthew horner

thought about a new carb. Maybe i should go that route. Where did you get yours?

4. khouse

AES

lawnparts.com

5. matthew horner

A new carb is around 300.
    My dealer says its def. the float and I can bend the plastic a bit and adjust it.

6. khouse

try it. i hope you get it working. did you call AES and get a price of a new one?

7. matthew horner

Yes, Its around 275 or so.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Have you actually replaced the float fuel needle valve ?

9. matthew horner

No, but it passes the blowing air test though.
    M.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Air is not liquid, I would sure as heck replace that before spending all that money on a new carb......

I had one last week do the same thing, Replaced the float valve and fixed it.....