Need advice again

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bubbatex0, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Bubbatex0

Bubbatex0 LawnSite Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=173257&highlight=bubbatex0Homeowner put in new system this year with you guys advise which helped tremendously, system was with MP Rotators and it works great other than the 90's on the swing joints are breaking.
    [​IMG]
    I used the Toro 90's because I could get them locally however they appear to be useless (around 5 have already broken all in the same place see red arrow). Now I am going to replace all of them. My question is what do you all recommend. I found these that I can order over the internet.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your expert advice
    Bubbatex0

2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Cannot see the crack in that tiny picture. Maybe you are tightening the male threads too much?

3. Bubbatex0

WalkGood,
    The one in the picture was just for reference to show where the cracks are occurring. That is just a pic of the way I did my swing joints. I may have tightened them too much but I did it by hand. I think the 90's are defective of something.

Bubbatex0

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure I would call that a swing joint, more like a flex joint. Given that, why are you even using a street elbow?

5. Bubbatex0

Just for extra flex

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:confused: How are you getting extra flex from that assembly? You have those barb-npt fittings screwed into that street elbow so tight your not gaining anything IMHO. The whole point of a swing joint is that it moves freely in two different directions at each end of the joint. If you consider the barb-fp connection as a free moving joint (some people wouldn't), then that only gives you 1 free moving joint at each end on your assembly.

I'm sure some people will disagree with me on this, but if you want the functionality of a swing joint why not simply buy a prefabricated one?

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like it's the Marlex ells (trade description) that are cracking. There was
    a thread on this a while ago & we deduced it was a cheap off brand of Marlex.
    Spears & Lasco brand Marlexes work fine. In a swing joint, you only need one
    Marlex at the sprinkler. Marlex is used because it's soft & will break first,
    rather than trashing the head. Never use Marlex on mainline applications.:nono:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Toro makes Marlex elbows? Your cracked fittings have the Toro brand name on them? That would be something new.

A marlex elbow from a manufacturer like Lasco or Spears or Dura will be something you can depend on. Fittings are what they are about. What you purchase at Home Depot can be something else entirely.

9. Bubbatex0

Thanks for the input guys, I made a mistake, they are Orbit 90's
    [​IMG]and seem to be very rigid which is why I have them screwed in so far so they would not leak. The reason I used the 90's was so I could position the heads where I wanted to and they can flex some but you are right in that once set they pretty much won't pivot much at that point.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It sure made it easy to get the heads set square and In place without any side pressure on them and I filled in around them with pea gravel and about 2" of dirt on the top so they could move if they needed to.
    Mike when you said "Never use Marlex on mainline applications" did you mean where I tied into the T on the 1" mainline I shouldn't have used the 90's?

Once again guys I am a humble homeowner just trying to do it right ;) The 90's are the only thing I got locally other than the pipe and I should have known better. Everything else is Hunter 1' PVG valves and Hunter Hunter Pro Spray 4 inch Pop-up body and MP Rotators.
    So IF I decide to replace the 90's instead of just removing them at the head end do you believe the Lasco that I found online would fix the problem?
    [​IMG]

Thanks

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

White plastic = no good. Black 'greasy-feeling' plastic is what you want. Brand name Marlex will take the abuse. It is a harder material than what was used a few years back. M412-007 or M412-005 might be the specific part numbers you need to look for.