Need advice and information

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Chris K, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Chris K

Chris K LawnSite Member
    from NY

Just starting business and thinking about getting a 48" walk behind or, if we can afford it, one of those zero turn mowers. If someone can provide some information as to which brands to stay away from and which are the better brands of equipment as far as mowers go I would greatly appreciate it. The zero turn I was looking at was a Cub Cadet. I don't have a TON of money however I want to get something that will be reliable and don't mind paying a little extra to get a quality piece of equipment.

What weed wackers do you suggest ?
    Blowers ?

Also if someone can tell me what to expect to pay for insurance per year with adequate coverage, not the minimum.

I appreciate any help/information you guys can give me.

2. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

For The Most Part I Like Stihl Or Echo 2 Stroke Equip And Exmark And Bobcat Mowers.

3. Andersonlawnscape

Andersonlawnscape LawnSite Member

You will get a thousand answers on this one. But this is what I use, ZTR dixie chopper WB exmark. I use echo weed eaters, and I do have one echo bp blower, but I actually prefer stihl blowers for some reason. Therefore I use stihl blowers. I would say the biggest thing is your dealer. Don't go out and buy a dixie chopper if your dixie chopper dealer is 25 miles away. The dealer I use sells dixie, hustler, exmark and cub cadet, think he might do scag as well or at least did. I prefer dixie chopper but since they don't make a walk behind well a real walk behind I choose exmark. Both great machines. But check out your dealer to. Some good hand held equipment could be from Echo, Sthil, Redmax, Tanaka, and many others. Get commercial grade and treat it well and it will last. Good luck.

4. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

"The dealer I use sells dixie, hustler, exmark and cub cadet, think he might do scag as well or at least did."

What dealer do you use? and where is it located?

Thanks
    Cutter LLC

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

just like SHOWCASE, i use stihl, echo and eXmark. I think eXmark has the best customer service availible. Check out their site. www.exmark.com. Clik on professional page. Then look for a dealer near you. I have said this many times before, try to find a dealer that is procertified by eXmark. Any other questions, i will be happy to answer to the best of my abbilities. GOOD LUCK. I just bought a eXmark Metro 15/48 and I love it. eXmark, i found was the cheapest and the best all at the same time. Funny how some things work out in your favor!

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If you are really serious don't buy ANY residential equipment. The service won't be as good and will onlylast a year if that!

7. Chris K

Chris K LawnSite Member
    from NY

I think we are ging to start out with a 48" wb, blower and trimmer. Probably opt for a new mower, i keep hearing good things about the exmark. If not that probably bobcat or ferris, with only one mower we really can't afford a break down. Our real concern is insurance and how best to start the business, i.e. the cheapest. i've heard people paying as much as $1500 just to become a business. We are just looking to get a name established so we can get a bank account and start buying equipment. any more suggestions would be great, thanks again! :eek:

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

You will get various answers to your questions and neither may be the better answer. You really need to take everyones advise and evaluate it for your needs.

I can tell you we started out (6 yrs ago) with a 48" hydro WB. Second year we were able to pick up a second 48" WB. We just this past week picked up 60" ZTR. We got by just fine with the two WB's. Matter of fact we decided to keep them both b/c there are still places that the ZTR cannot get into/onto that the WB's can. IMHO you can't go wrong with a WB b/c they are the most versatile of the two (WB vs. ZTR). And, generally speaking, they are the cheaper of the two...something most companies consider when starting up...controlling cost that is.

As far as brands...thats a loaded question...its like ford versus chevy versus dodge or american vs. japanese autos. Instead of brand you should be looking at dealers...their location from work locations, how friendly they are, what they stock don't stock, do they provide loaners in the event your one (and perhaps only) mower goes down. Once you narrow it down to the dealers, IMHO, you than can come back here and figure out some info on the brands. just my nine cents worth.

9. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

For a ZTR I like the Exmark, I have a 52"
    For WB I like Bobcat,, nothine in my opinion cuts better, I have one thats 4 years old, less than 300 hours (trying to sell it cuz I never use it)

Exmark is a good brand all around.
    Scag, I've had heard way too many problems.. but if you like Dodges you might like scag (sorry big pun)

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Out of curiosity, specifically, what have you heard? I just purchased my third SCAG this, one being a ZTR and was wondering what problems I should expect? Also should I expect any major problems with the other two hrdro WB's? One is a 2000 and one is a 2001? Just curious to read what you've heard.