Need advice ASAP!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Mar 12, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Going to an repo auction tomorrow and have my heart set on a Exmark hp 44" with 20 hp kohler. This mower only has 18 hours on it. There is also a Toro with 44" with 17 hp Kawi with 11 hours. however, there is only one 52" Toro being auctioned with a large majority of mowers being 60".

I think 60" is too much for the type yards I will be doing (residential less than 1 1/2 acres), so what is the opinions of the Exmark?

I also think the Toro is a little underpowered with only a 17 on it, but I have not used it.... any help would be apprecaited in the decision making process..........

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, I wouldn't even bother with thw Toro. It's just underpowered, considering you are pushing two hydro motors, too. I would certainly look into the 60's, though. Your lawns are NOT too small for a 60. I have a boatload of 1/2 acre lots I cut, and I run 60's.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

1 1/2 acres deserves a 60" deck, We run 60" decks on everything that doesn't have a gate.

4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I would love to have a 60", and it has to be the favorite size in ZTRs in general, but you know your yards. (as long as I can turn around, I never think any size is too big...but I over compensate... don't ask...he he he)

Since you have your heart set on the eXmark 44/20, follow your heart, and get it.

5. grasssin

there are about 7 Exmarks 60" with either 23 or 27 hp below 100 hours on them going for auction, I will wait and see what is going to happen................

never been to one of these before and dont know what to expect ....................

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

The 17hp 44" toro does just fine.

7. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Most seem to enjoy their's very much, of the one's I know. Would have to go with the most HP as I could (between the 23 and 27)

8. thill

thill LawnSite Member

I can't speak to the 60s (no experience) but do have a Toro 44 w/ Kaw 17.

It is slightly underpowered under a VERY heavy load but does most things we want.

We use it a lot but don't think it is particulary a good piece of equipment. BUT... if the price is right, you can do a lot of medium sized props and make money with it.

As a point of reference, we have two SCAG Tiger Cub 48s with KAW 19. Both are far, far superior to this Toro.

Good luck,
    Tom

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont be suprised if the prices these mowers bring at auction are about what you can buy a new one for. Thats just the way auctions are. Take a price list of what they cost new from the dealer of what you are looking to buy. Sometimes you can find a good deal.

10. grasssin

Yeah I was wondering that because the lady at the auction told me "yeah they usually go fo less than half price" but I thought that was just to get people there............

It is a repo auction though, so I thought it would mean that the machines would have no owners