1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

need advice for aerating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Mar 1, 2000.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

i have about 5 aeration jobs lined up and i need some questions answered, please help<br>1. what do i need to ask for when renting an aerator<br>2. how much can i charge per 1,000 sqft to do the job (just say its good flat terrain)<br>3. when i overseed do i use a 1,000 sq ft bag of seed for 1,000 sq ft of grass or not?

2. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

what kind of turf?

3. Orkin Yards

centipeede, bermuda, i'm in Jackson, MS

4. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

Have your customer irrigate the night before, if it does not rain. That way, you can run the machine without any additional weight in it. <p>Go straight up and down the hills, not accross.

5. Orkin Yards

i still would like some advice about how much i can charge...and overseeding? how much seed?

6. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

I hate to do it again but its in Nilsson book<br>Tim

7. john boylan

john boylan LawnSite Member

Orkin, do it on time-and-material, charging whatever per hour is enough to make you happy. Add in the rental charges. Overseed at whatever rate the County Extension Agent's office recommends. After you've done it a few times, you'll have a better feel for what to charge on a Job basis. No guarantees, cause you can't make your customers water, and one thunderstorm can wash it all away. Consider a pull-behind aerator if you've got a tractor that can pull it, and you can hit all the yards in one day--then follow up the next day with a rental walk-behind for the tight spots. Rent a slice/slit seeder--the newer the better, cause as they get older they get slower and the drop rate gets erratic. Are you gonna put down starter fertilizer? I would, unless you have already have soil test results that say the phosphorous levels are at least medium. Straw's nice too, if it's a renovation more than it's a touchup, but it's slow to spread and no fun anytime. Have fun.