Need advice for good towing vehicle for enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by sticklelm, Feb 1, 2013.

1. sticklelm

sticklelm LawnSite Senior Member

Thankyou
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

A 3/4 ton gas motor will pull your trailer fine. I would stay away from the newer Ford diesels.

3. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

And what info do you have on ford diesels. I run 2 of them a 7.3 and a 6.4 the 6.4 is a strong motor all these people bash ford based on what they read on the forums, but what you don't hear are the motors that are running strong and problem free. For your average mowing route a diesel is not worth it. Diesel is running almost 75 cents more a gallon. Plus the cost upfront cost over a gas motor.

4. sticklelm

Thanks for all the responses. I would be using it for my mowing route like you said. Looking into 3/4 ton Chevy and Ford trucks with a gas engine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I would go with gas unless you leave the truck running. Most diesel engines don't like the on/off use that a mowing route will put it through. A gas truck pulling that load will be around 10mpg and a diesel will be around 13, not really worth it to me.

6. sticklelm

Good point there
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

If all you do is pull a mower or two around, then a Gasser will be fine. If you want to get decent mileage, occasional heavy towing, and longevity out of your truck, then a diesel is where it's at.

8. sticklelm

2-3 big mowers trimmers edgers blowers takes shovels axes chainsaws loppers gas work bench pitch forks and a bunch of other little things.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Definitely go gas. The 6.0 vortec in my truck has hauled 17k of hay once and it did terrific. Do you have 3.5 or 5k axles in your trailer. Your max will be 10k so that truck you showed it rated to pull that day in, day out no problem.

10. sticklelm

5k I believe
    Posted via Mobile Device