Need Advice- How big of a truck do I need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nautica1580, Mar 31, 2008.

1. nautica1580

nautica1580 LawnSite Member

I got in the lawn business almost a year ago and have only about 20 accounts, just enough to keep me busy part time. I have a 5x10 enclosed trailor with a custom tool box mounted on the trailor. I have a big 60" z-turn mower with all the normal yardman equipment. I have been using a 2005 f-150 to pull it but can no longer afford to keep it because of payment and fuel. How big of a truck do I need to pull this trailor? Would a 1999 Ranger with a 4cylender work? Cant afford much more than 2k for a work truck. Found a good deal on one and was wondering if anyone had experience with these towing that size trailor. Please any and all suggestions/advice are very much appreciated.
    Tim

2. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Looks to me like your S.O.L.

3. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

ranger in not a good idea.my.2

4. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree......

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You need to figure out why you cannot pay for the truck...if you have 20 accounts what is the problem?

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i used a 95 ford ranger 4 cylinder for the first 4 years of my business. still have the original clutch. if you take care of your truck then you can do it. dont listen to anyone who says it cant' be done. make sure you take it easy on starts and try not to park on large hills. i think you will do fine with that 2k truck. goodluck.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I use a V6 Toyota but I hardly think it get much better gas mileage then a V8...I bet it is less actually.

8. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen a few guys around town towing stuff with a ranger or those small toyota trucks.

Granted, you're gonna tear the sucker up if you dont baby it, especially a $2000 vehicle.

I had a 1994 Ford Ranger last year with 250,000 miles on it and was able to cram a 32" Lesco, my 21" and the rest of my equipment (very tight fit) but as a 4banger it was very groggy and you need to be carefuly when braking. I'm almost willing to bet you're gonna be over max GVWR or close to it.

Do it if you must, but use your money to upgrade to a bigger truck soon.

9. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

for $500 you could easily get a late '70s to early '80s full size pickup that would work just fine. Mileage wouldn't be any better but you wouldn't have a truck payment either.

10. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

a smaller under powered truck is a bad idea