NEED ADVICE ! How would you mow this hillside? What would you charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJB, Aug 11, 2006.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

One of my commercial customers has a long bank that needs to be cut once a month. On average it takes 6 hrs and is a pain in the butt. There is a lot of falling down if you trim it, or you can lower a mower on a rope. Either way it tough. Anybody have any ideas, it a good customer and this is part of the job that I charge extra. Pictures below. Add about 125 ft more to the right view that the picture doesn't show.

hillside leftview.JPG

hillside right view.JPG

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i think you could use a hydro WB on that, but if not, then a floating mower would work

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Walk behind or a hustler Z made for hills.

4. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Couple of men with weedwackers? It will be a sucky job but once a month will not be to bad. I would charge them whatever you charge for an hourly rate x the number of actual hours it takes you! If they are a good customer they should be fine with it.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I mow a bank like that at one of my commercial accounts. There's a six foot retaining wall and the parking lot beneath it. I use a 36 Bob-Cat geardrive walkbehind. The only spooky part is the first cut at the bottom. It's a first gear twitch for sure. The rest is second gear and me on the Jungle Wheels.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would mow it with a life jacket and something I could let go of fast. This is no place for any ZTR with water at the bottom. ZTR 101 saftey. I'm sure there are WB's that could do it but it doesn't look very safe. Even a ZTR made for slopes wouldn't be safe here. If in doubt er on the side of saftey...

7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

32/36/48 wb. If thats still to scary, bite the bullet once a month with a 21. Just remember, it's better to be safe than sorry. As for what to charge, try to mow it first to see what its like.

8. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

How about one of those god awful 21" push mowers. I used to mow a hill like that and you can cut almost all of it running sideways. Arms get tired from holding it down but its once a month.

9. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a 48" w/b would do the trick I would go w/ wider wheel base than say a 36". BUT dont use a velke your going to have to walk it. If that works proably 100$ for a good client.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What is being used that takes 6 hours? If you have this info, then you must know what was being done in the past. That piece of info may or may not be of help.

It looks too steep for a w/b machine. The top looks clear, which means a person walking along the top has room to walk, holding a rope for a 21" mower. Such a mower should be light as possible. Only a 4 cycle with pressurized oil, or a 2 cycle would work. Cutting it down with a trimmer is possible, but lots of hard work, and the results won't be very good. But, the results with a 21" on a rope probably won't be very good either.

Planting such banks is one thing, but to keep them maintained is too often overlooked.