Need advice in Maine

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grass_cuttin_fool, Sep 24, 2006.

1. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a friend in Maine and she has asked my advice on a patio area for her yard, since I dont know the answers, Im asking yalls advice. She wants to do a patio area with tall leafy plants as a border for privacy. She will need something that will be able to survive a winter in the northeast as she has no place to store the plants during the winter.

Also she has alot of frost heeves and is wondering if pavers or stone or cement would be the best. She would like to do this project her self but may sub it out. Also she wants to put a fence around part of the backyard also. Any help or suggestions are welcome

Wayne

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Pavers tolerate freezing climates better than concrete. They may heave, but they settle back down.

Out here a hot item is ornamental grasses to make some what of a screen, but they don't weather the winter well. Emerald Arbovitea is also popular. Again, I'm in totally different climate with mild winters though.

3. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

hi wanye im from maine I can help tell her pavers and maby shurbs what part of maine is she from im from bath maby I could help her

4. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Miscanthus sincesis 'Arabesque': it's more or less 5' tall, has glorious maroon/red flower spikes, longitudinally striped leaves, a fountain-ing growth habit, and holds itself upright (doesn't sprawl the way some of the larger Miscanthus' do). Also, for really vertical, try Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus", striped zebra grass. Also 5'-6' and VERY decorative. The zebra grass doesn't bloom for me here (Zone 3), but if she's in the warmer southern part of Maine, it might for your friend. On the zebra grass the stripes are broad, horizontal, and gold colored. Both grasses are perennial and make larger clumps each year.