Need advice in pricing larger property

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowerMoney, Mar 30, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the lawns I've been servicing for the last 2 years are small to mediocre in size so I've been able to price them fairly well. Found that I was only slightly underpriced on a few but nothing to really hurt.
    Today I was pricing a larger estate and don't have a clue if I'm even close to the ballpark. Looking for some advice on this one.
    Lawn area around 18,000 square feet with several mature maple & birch trees, lots of gardens, circular front drive plus long side drive (lots of trim), wrought iron fencing surrounding property and pool area (more trim work). And several areas of lawn steeply sloping away from the house (can't use ZTN on those areas)
    They want a price for 1)weekly cutting, 2)spring cleanup, and 3)fall leaf removal (suggests doing leaves 4 times during the fall - must get a lot but I have never seen their yard in the fall so I have no idea how bad it gets)
    I'm thinking:
    Weekly cut/trim/blow 3-4 hrs @ $130.00
    Spring Cleanup 5-6 hrs @ $225.00
    Fall leaf Removal 5-6 hrs per time @ $270.00 each time (seems high?)
    Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Your spring and fall cleanups are alittle cheap for 5 to 6 hours. The mowing price is alittle low but that may be all you can get for your area. I face this all the time A lawn where i need to make like $50-$65 guys are bidding $40 on. Stay with the mowing price and bump the spring clean up t0 $245, and the fall clean up to $300.

3. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

1. if you think that 18,000 is a large area imagine 400,000sqft

2. if you can get 130 a week for that i'm moving.(even if it is canadian... that's still like 90/wk and i am still moving!!!)

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

18,000 square feet is way less than half an acre. Did a 0 get lost?

I could do that with a non propelled push in less than 3 hours including trimming and an hour lunch. Now if it is 180,000 or just over 4 acres that is very different.

My clean ups are very different from yours so I have no idea how to help there.

5. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, I don't think it would take 3-4 Hours. If it did, it works out to $32.50 and hour which frankly is not a lot. We can get $35.00 for 15 minutes of work.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The mowing price is low? We are talking 4/10ths of an acre here..........
    5-6 hours to clean up an 18,000 sq. ft. property?

7. MowerMoney

18,000 sq.ft. is just the lawn area. The entire property is probably more than double that, maybe even triple.
    But you're probably still right in thinking 5-6 hrs is too high.

8. MowerMoney

Jeff, You can get $140 per hour in Whitby? Wow. Who are your customers?

Thanks for the replies guys, but now I'm really confused. Some say higher and some say lower. I guess it's all in your interpretation of my info. Hard to say without seeing it yourself, right?

9. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I average $25-$35 per lawn here. My $25 lawn is 10-15 minutes tops with 2 guys hitting it and the $35 would be something similar to my lawn at home at 15-25 minutes. I sub for a company this year and their going rate is $30-$35 a lawn average size residential.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

lets put it this way. I get between $1800 and $2400 per year for mow edge weedeat and blow on my properties that are about 3/4 to 1 acre. Here that is 40-44 mows. The lawns take from 25 - 45 minutes for the average cut. Spring way longer, winter way less.

As I mentioned before, your clean ups are leaf removal. My clean ups are jungle taming so there is no comparison.

Good luck and realize that 1/2 acre of turf is not a big property. If it will take twice as long as one of your other yards then that is a ballpark of what to charge. Perhaps a little discount for not having drive time for the second one.