Need advice in this situation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Nov 13, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Well, lately ive been thinking about the effitiantcy of my leaf vac compared to a high powered BP blower (redmax ebz 7001, 800 and Stihl Br600). And in this process have thought about if it would help me if i sold the leaf vac and purchased one of those blowers. I have found myself raking in half my lawns because it is quicker than my leaf vac. I just don't want to make the decision to sell it, get a blower, the regret it. I have thought about renting one of those blowers or a simmilar one for a day to see how i like it first, is that a good idea? On this site, i have found almost everyone using BP blowers and/or WB blowers for cleanups, very very few with the vacs. I have expanded so much and with school, i need to be as fast as possible.

Do you think this would be a good decision, to sell the vac and get one of those high powered blowers?

I hope i put everything in here that i needed to say, and if i didn't, let me know so i can, thanks so much in advace, but i want to do whats best

Mike

2. Grizzly290

Grizzly290 LawnSite Member

mcwlandscaping, Never used one of those vacs. So I can't comment on those. But I own a Redmax 7001, and a 8000. Awesome backpack blowers. I also still have the Redmax EB 4300 backpack blower that I bought new in 1987. It still starts on the first or second pull. I gave it to Mom & Dad to keep at their house. I am totally sold on Redmax Backpacks & string trimmers.
    I would think you would need a strong Backpack blower anyway to do your maintenance through out the season. I know I couldn't survive without mine. I personally prefer the 7001 most of the time. Very powerful, a little lighter and more comfortable in my opinion. I take it with me all season for blowing off walks and driveways after mowing. But when the leaves are heavy, the 8000 is definitely more powerful. Just a little heavier and bulkier feeling. But definitely a great blower.
    Just my .02 worth, but I would DEFINITELY buy a POWERFUL backpack blower, you'll be glad you did. Hope this helps. Grizzly

3. mcwlandscaping

Ok, more feedback on my original post would be greatly appreciated. Grizzly, thank you for your post and see your point about the bukiness of the 8000 over the 7001 and it is deffinatly somthing i will be looking into further.

To go along with this post is another question. How much is my leaf vac worth when i go to sell it. It is a 2003, the warranty ends on it the 22nd of this month. In top condition, starts first or second pull, also have the mulcher kit and hose kit for it. Bag has no rips tears or weak spots that i could find, oil has been changed before and after last leaf season (first season i used it). Just how much is it worth $$$??

Thanks again,
    MIKE

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

what was the purchas price? they go for 500-900 right what brand? do you have pics? i could'nt realy tell with out that

5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you'll be better off buying a big blower and a leaf plow. No offense but I don't see efficiency with those vacs.

6. mcwlandscaping

Srry, i bought it for $1300 new with the hose attachment and shredder kit.

7. grassyfras

probbly get a little more than half value

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

leaf vacs are geared more toward a homeowner that can use it to vac. up a few leaves every other day. You need bigger blowers and Vacs to come in and do a 1 or 2 times a yr clean up or when the leaves all fall at once

9. grassyfras

The vac maybe good if it has the hose attachment to do those tight beds and corners. I dont know how many clean-ups you do a year to keep it if its worth it. I would sell it tho.

10. mcwlandscaping

Oh, also forgot to mention, lol, that the hose attachment sucks and the shredder kit doesn't work for what im doing. As mac said, used by homeowners who do their leaves regularly, not for the one or two times im doing a property for the season. Thanks again for all the posts so far and more are deffinatly welcome.

MIKE