Need Advice...(long)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GrassSmasher, May 23, 2005.

1. GrassSmasher

GrassSmasher LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Here's the deal: While taking a break from my current job hunting adventure. I decided to mow the lawn. I've always enjoyed doing it. It's nice to be out in the sun, and gives a man (or woman) time to think. While I was mowing, deep in thought, it hit me.

There are quite a few nice 'upscale' neighborhoods in this area. A lot of these good people pay the big name lawn care business big money to take care of their yards. Mowing, and fertilization, etc. Before I let this thought process finish, I was already thinking of ways I could do it better. I've always messed around w/ my lawn, trying to get the baseball diamond effect, etc. I thought it would be a great idea to offer 'designer lawn care.' I could offer to cut and fertilize lawns, and for an extra fee cut designs into the yard. I have never seen anyone's yard (except the one's I played with) cut this way. So, I did an internet search trying to figure out what kind of designs others were doing. From there I learned that it's called striping, etc. etc.

I have enough of the basics to get started. A 3?" riding mower with a roller.

After thinking about it the past few hours, and searching on the net to find out anything and everything I can on how to get this thing off of the ground, I wound up here.

I have many, many questions I would like to ask. Probably too many to post in one thread, if I expected them all to be answered.

So, I'll start with the basics... Does anyone know where I can find detailed striping instructions? The only sites I have found thus far just want to sell rollers.

How do you guys (and gals) estimate your pricing? What kind of up-charge is it for someone to get a basic up and down stripe vs. a standard, get in and out mow?

I'll leave it at that for now. If anyone has any advice or anything, feel free...

Thanks in advance.

2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

well first off in most state you need to be lisenced to fert. plus you need insurance to cover your but. If I were you I would stay away from fert for a long while until you know your business is doing good.

second dont be a SCRUB!!!!

third gets some real equipment (example: scag, exmark, hustler, gravely etc)

Its takes awhile to get going and if you want to start "big" you need the "big" dollars to buy good equipment and a trailer (and possibly a truck if you dont have one)

-for striping use the search button.....well for anything you want to learn about try to search it and if you need more info/example ask it.

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

My mower just does it by itself without any kits or rollers on it. You will find that most commercial mowers are like that, you can further enhance the striping by adding or making a striper. You can check out the pic fourm on this site for great examples that people on have done on here.