Need Advice - New Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Mach1, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Mach1

Mach1 LawnSite Member

We built a new home last year. After the dirtwork was done and the sprinkler system installed, it was late. The yard did not get planted until Oct.1.

I hired a guy to plant for me. He harrowed the dirt 'till it was a powder, then applied starter fert. and the seed (which was UAP Sahara Fescue mix) then drug it over smooth.

We got a pretty decent stand of grass last year, but not everywhere. This spring, it is all green already, and I have bare spots and weeds are coming fast! I contacted the local lawncare place, but have not heard back from them. They talked about interseeding and some other options. I know they're busy, maybe they'll call me yet.

I would like a really nice yard for this new home, but am unsure what I should be doing with it at this point. I need help and am starting to panic! Can anyone suggest a course of action in case I have to go it alone?

Thanks, Joe M.

2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I would have it fertilized and liquid weed controlled asap this spring one time and then reseed those areas if they are small just wait it will fill in with time. I wouldn't recommend mixing and applying liquid yourself. Call anotherr person yea its busy in the landscape ind. but i would try another firm.

3. Mach1

Mach1 LawnSite Member

If I have to go the DIY route, which chemicals and applications would you recommend specifically? My wife works for a fertilizer company, so I have access to professional chemicals and liscenced guys (that she works with) to mix and apply them.

Also, how exactly do you recommend to do the re-sseding? Should I just just throw more seed in the bald spots, rake it over, airate or what?

I apologize for the newbie questions, I do not have much of a green thumb!:help:

4. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Well in nebraska i dont know if your weeds really started to pop up yet and if they are not actively growing you wont really be able to kill them. So maybe start off by putting down some dimension and then in a month put down a 2 4 d product.

5. Mach1

Mach1 LawnSite Member

It took a couple of weeks, but I got an estimate in the mail today from the local lawncare place. The estimate is for innerseeding the lawn with UAP Sahara Fescue blend. My lawn is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 square feet.

They want $895.00 to do it. This includes the seed and starter fertilizer. They also have a estimate for a 5 step fertilizer application program @ $101.66 per application.

What is innerseeding? I understand it is some sort of machine that places the seed in the dirt? Can someone explain this to me? The folks where my wife works thinks this estimate is too high, and we should rent their machine and do it ourselves.

The wife thinks we should belly up to the bar, pay the $$$ and let them do it. I'm tending to agree with her. Does $895.00 seem like a high estimate to the pro's here?

Joe M.

6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want to get in the middle of anything that I don't have the specifics on, but here in Md, my price for 12k lawn would be closer to $500. This would be for powerseeding, and fertilizer. What a powerseeder does is to cut a small groove vertically down into the lawn surface, then drops seed into the groove, and some cover the seed, some just leave the seed in the groove, depends on the make of the machine. The important thing to do is to ask your contractor for references, and follow up by asking questions of the references. Were you satisfied, was the crew professional, DID THEY MISS AREAS?, how many times are they going to go over the lawn with the machine? The more you know the better the decision you can make.:waving: :waving:

7. Mach1

Mach1 LawnSite Member

Thank you Dave!! They said they criss-cross the application, meaning they go one way, then cross it at 90 degrees. I thought the estimate seemed high too. The contractor is a local one, who has been in business for a very, very long time. They have an excellent reputation and not much competition.

I trust these guys and know they will do a good job if I choose to go with them. I may seek a quote from on of their competitors.

Thanks again!!

Joe M.

8. 1turfguy

1turfguy LawnSite Member
    from ma

my price in ma would be $725.00 so their in the ball park.i usually go in 3directions to avoid the "corn row" look, 2 directions is normal. my app price is 75/app.

9. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

The first thing I would do is to fire the guy who put the lawn in if he didn't try to talk out of it. You're in zone 4/5. I would not have planted a lawn from seed on Oct 1 and expect to have much left in the Spring. The rule of thumb is fully germinated and growing tall enough for 2 cuts prior to first frost. I live in zone 5~6 and we plant grass generally around labor day.

I would wait until Fall to plant again as it's the best time (vs Spring). Until then you can try fertilizer/weed control. If you have barespots you're worried about just throw some annual grass seed down for cover until you're ready to seed again (with the same fescue variety).

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For a 1/4 acre lot even $500 sounds way high, I charge $250-$270 per 1/4 acre for a complete refurbishing (core aeration, fertilizer, calcium carbonate, magnesium, calcium sulfate, and 50 pounds of 90% germ.rate certified seed)... However, the weed treatment is separate and costs $60 so it still comes to a bit over $300, keep in mind weed killer and seed HAVE to be applied at least 30 days apart or the chems will interfere with seed germination and provide less than desirable results.

Further, right now isn't the best time for seeding, fall is, and for Nebraska likely early fall (like 2nd-3rd week of September maybe even earlier but idk), but take care of the weeds now and perhaps wait, or do a spot seeding... You could do this part yourself, get a 25 or 50 pound bag of Fescue at your local Home Depot or Lowe's and simply throw down good and solid handfulls of seed in the bare spots, again don't weed treat / seed but 30 days apart! So you could spot seed and then in a month call a reliable company such as True Green or Scott's for a one time weed treatment and be done with it, likely all for under $200 but idk...

Because I'm not sure here, with a long term guy quoting you a grand and my prices, is the whole story being told or what it is I don't get, but I can not help that without seeing it, perhaps some pictures would help.

Beyond that what I would do is get the phone book (or the Yellow Book - not the Yellow Pages, I said Yellow Book) and go to Lawn Care (right before Lawyers) or Landscaping and call about 4-6 of these companies and get no less than 3 but really 4 estimates.

You may wish to listen to what each has to say, idk, please don't play them off against each other such as to gain a better price but do feel free to pick the one you feel is best for you, base your decision not on price alone :)