Need advice on 16hp Briggs & Straton

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by awe38834, Feb 22, 2006.

1. awe38834

awe38834 LawnSite Member

I am having touble cranking my mower, I have changed the battery and put new plugs in it. The plugs are not getting any fire and I also noticed that with the plugs out the engine turns over just fine but with the plugs in it will only turn over about twice.

I parked it back in early December, I can't figure out why it is not getting any fire. It has been about 29 degrees outside the past few days and I wondered if something my still be froze up. Can someone give me some advice?

Thanks Andy

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the oil in it, if it is low, the oil level switch will ground out the ignition circuit to protect the engine from running hot and/or dry on oil. Also the oil level switch itself may be bad. Also check the safety switches on the machine such as the seat switch and all to make sure it is not a peripheral device causing the no fire scenerio.

3. awe38834

awe38834 LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'll check it this evening when I get home.

4. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

When you say "the plugs get no fire", how do you know? I ask because you stated that it will turn over fine with the plugs out. Leading me to think that when the plugs are in, it will not turn over or is very very hard to turn over.

The case sounds to me like either the valves are out of adjustment or the camshaft is worn down (the lobes).

As for the "no fire", if it really is not getting fire I would say take off the kill wire from the spark module and see if it sparks. If it does not, we'd be looking at spark plug, air gap, or bad module. If it does spark with kill wire removed, we'd be looking at safety circuit, kill wire shorted, or something along those lines.

If this doesnt do it, we'd really need to know more about what is going on. I will be off of here for several days as I'm in the middle of moving, but there are quite a few fellas on here that can certainly help you get it going again.
    Good luck.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you can post the model and type numbers off the blower housing that will tell me what engine you have and where to go to diagnose. Also what brand -type unit the engine is on would be helpful.

6. awe38834

awe38834 LawnSite Member

The tractor is a White Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor.

The model # on the Operator's manual is LT-1650

The model # on the engine is 42A707

The type # is 2238 E1 and the code is 9909295B

It was dark and raining outside so the numbers could be a little off but I'm pretty sure they are right.

I also checked the oil and it was very low, so maybe that is the problem I am hoping so. I've had it about 5 yrs and never had a problem. I admit this summer I didn't change the oil like I have every other summer. I should have known better. I change the oil tomorrow in the day time.

I did pull the plug wire off the plug I tried to turn it over and there was not any fire. Maybe it is that low oil safety switch.

You guys are awesome I'm glad I found this site.

Thanks Andy

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OK, There is no low oil switch on this engine so you need to eliminate the mower kill wire harness from the engine. From sitting in the seat position, On the right hand side front of the engine just inside the intake manifold you will see the valve breather assembly. You will see the two plug wires coming out along side this breather, You will see a screw sticking out with a black wire connected to it. This is the kill wire, Disconnect it then check for spark again, If you still don't have spark the problem is the module (coil) and needs to be replaced. Adjust the air gap (distance between the coil and flywheel) to .010-.014" I use a standard business card which is .010" .

If you remove this kill wire and do have spark you should first check the connection on the back of the ignition switch and check the switch with a multimeter for proper operation. You could remove the switch and take it to your local shop and have them test it. If the switch test good then trace the black kill wire from the ign. switch to the front of the engine checking for any bare places shorted to ground or to the frame.
    A multimeter set on ohms with one lead connected to the kill wire at the engine and the other connected to the kill wire on the ign. switch plug will tell you if the wire is shorted (easier than tracing it back).

Good Luck

8. awe38834

awe38834 LawnSite Member

Yep it was the kill wire just like you said. It started right up after I disconnected it. Thank you for the advice.