Need Advice on 48" lesco purchase PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevin11946ny, May 19, 2007.

1. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

Ive went to test it out and it cuts fine.

This is a 2001 commerical plus unit lesco 48" hyrdo 17hp kawi.

Is this a good value should i jump on it im low on money and i need a large mower for a decent price.

Let me know what you guys think and would you jump on the oppurtunit to buy this mower?

Also do any of you have any advice on this particual unit how it cuts ect..

Is lesco a cheaper less durable name then exark and scag..

thanks so much please give me your input..

2. kevin11946ny

Asking Price Is $1000.....

Thanks Again.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If it's in good shape and not worn out... nothing about to blow.... then how can you go wrong with a 17hp 48" HYDRO for $1,000 ???

If it's the green one like I think it is, it sells for $4,100 new.
  4. kevin11946ny

The thing is i really know nothing about mowers.

Could you please give me some tips on what to look for just to make sure im not going to buy a bad machine?

Are there any simple things to look for.

It starts on the 2nd pull and doesnt smoke. Should i use this to cut his lawn first, he said that would be fine.

any idea on how long it will take to mow a 1 acre open field with this mower?

5. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I am not the best used mower shopper in the world.
    There are guys that are more experienced at it, and proven good at it here.
    Maybe they will find there way in here.

But if not, this is what I would look for.....

First I would look hard at the visible appearance of the mower and the hour meter. Yeah it's a tool, so who really cares what it looks like. But you kinda want to see if the appearance matches the hour meter.

Also, the appearance can sometimes tell you about how well the machine was kept. Yes, there are exceptions... guys who service the machines great mechanically and don't abuse stuff, but don't do any upkeep. And the opposite is also true. Like the guy who'll was his car 2 or 3 times a week, but never changes the old.

But I'm just stating in general... it's a fair rule of thumb.

You want to look all around the engine for leaks, including underneath at the crank. You also want to look for anything out of place. This helps you spot "patchwork" on leaky gaskets/seals/etc. Check the oil and see how it looks.... and also the AIR FILTER.

Next, look at the entire hydro system. Look for any signs of leaking or wheeping of fluid. Open the reservoir and look at the oil level. Wipe off the engine dipstick and dip the tip of it in the reservoir so you can see what that oil really looks like. It should be clean and their should be no "milky" appearance.

ABSOLUTELY, by all means, DO USE IT to mow the guy's yard. Watch, listen and feel how it performs.
  6. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I have the same mower basically but an 05 and its electric start. I like the mower, no major problems thus far. A lot of people will talk bad about Lesco but I have had nothing but good experiences with them. Like stated before, definately mow his yard with it. Try it out going up and down and side to side on the biggest hill you can find. Go over everything that Envy stated along with checking the deck spindles. They have a tendency to loosen and/or go bad from what I hear.
  7. surffkatt

surffkatt LawnSite Member
    from okc, ok

cutting moderate growth running wide open with a sulky if the ground is smooth enough that machine with a good operator in those conditions is probably good for around 2 acres an hour. Running a walkbehind at 7 mph w/ a sulky can be a bit dicey. mistakes can hurt you

8. kevin11946ny

I just spoke with him again and he said this will probally need a new engine in a year or so, becasue this is typical on this model??? He said it will run around $800.

Guess this isnt such a good deal then, right? Rather buy something newer. This is the worst part im sure for alot of you guys when you first started out, trying to find a good used mower that was affordable until you had more money to invest.

I will be looking some more, IM not feeling so sure about this mower now.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Well it's hard to say....

Does the mower have an hour meter?

With air cooled gas engines it's really always a crap-shoot as to how long they last.
    Some last for years and thousands of hours, others crap out sooner.