Need advice on a good edger for under 200 bucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Threxx, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Well I bought a $159 weed eater edger which at the time I didn't know anything about the crap that weed eater/poulan/electrolux puts out.
    I went to change the blade and inserted a screw driver in the gearbox housing hole as recommended by the manual to give something for the blade to press against as I turned it. Crack. The plastic gearbox housing shattered and pieces of plastic flew everywhere. Good grief.

Now I know better. Thing is I really liked the 'flat footed' design it had - I could just wheel it along with no worries at all.

I've looked at Stihl and Echo as I know they're both very reputable brands, but to my surprise they look like nothing more than string trimmers with an edging 'attachment' at the end - even though I know it's not detachable. They just don't look very sturdy to me... or stable, for that matter.

2. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Well I was looking around and it kinda looks like the FS110 (string trimmer) and FC110 are the exact same thing but a different attachment at the end.

I'd be willing to bump my budget up to 400 or so if I could get a solid reliable 2 in 1 type machine. Are those two models just a swap of attachments away from being the same?

My string trimmer is a true 4-cycle yet smokes like a diesel truck. I wouldn't mind replacing it either.

3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally....you cant beat an Echo

4. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

So do they have a good attachment based system or should I stay away from attachment edger/trimmers due to inherent weakness in the 'shaft' where the attachments connect up?

5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im just one guy...but I use an edger and a trimmer....seperate tools. However I havent heard anything bad about an echo trimmer that uses attachments...so I dont think you can go wrong. Either way...go with Echo. I think you can probably find an upfront salesman at a local echo dealership who will tell you straight up if it's what your looking for. Good luck!

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

YOu can get the stihl 110 trimmer and be able to put the edgeing attachment on it. I use an fs85 and just swap out the attatchments. I cant comment on Echo, but the stihl is heavy duty and sturdy

wayne

7. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Echo PAS-260 is very heavy duty and has served us well.

We have the trimmer, edger, pole pruner and 90 degree hedge clipper attachements and they work great...plenty of power.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the lowest priced light duty comm stick edger is the echo . i would stay away from the combo -it gets old fast changing the attachments for every job. i do carry one behind the seat of my truck as an emergency back up.

9. zmowing

zmowing LawnSite Member
    from York,PA

a good flat shovel 21.00 bucks

10. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

Take a look at shindaiwa. They have a great mulit-tool, but I don't think its in your price range.