Need advice on a self propelled mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by NJgunner, Mar 30, 2013.

1. NJgunner

NJgunner LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I need to buy a new self propelled mower. I have about 5k square feet of kentucky bluegrass sod that gets very thick and lush. I need a mower thats powerful enough to do a clean job whether I want to mulch or bag the clippings. I was looking at some Honda's but I am not sure I want to buy anything from HomeDepot. Thanks

2. NJgunner

NJgunner LawnSite Member

to the top.

3. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Lawn boy
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out exmarks new 21" xseries. It's plenty strong and will last a lifetime
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Those new Exmark 21"s are nice, but I don't think they are necessarily the best choice from a cost perspective for a H.O. looking to cut his own lot. I assume he is a H.O. since all he mentioned was 5K of KBG to be cut.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Go to any JD dealer and look at the Honda's. They all carry the Honda line now for 21" WB's. The price should be the same as the big box stores, but you'll have a service department to handle things if needed, backing up your purchase.

7. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just giving options. For a home owner, I don't see anything wrong with a 400 dollar Honda from Home Depot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

honda hrx217vka

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Honda....the one with the green knob on the device to swithch to mulch. Doesn't matter if it HD or dealer same unit. Might be smart to go with dealer.

10. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure how prices are down in the States but up here, in Canada, where I live, a toro light duty commercial (22156) is about the same price as the honda hrx217. I have the homeowner version; the toro superbagger and have had good luck with it. It bags well, mulches good, and side discharges out the side; something the honda mowers can't do; except for the base entry level model. They don't make the super bagger any more but perhaps you can ask your local dealer if he can find any left overs from 2011.