1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on a turf truck

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by breckslawncare, Nov 10, 2005.

1. breckslawncare

breckslawncare LawnSite Member

I have a small but growing business and I need to be able to work more efficiently.
    I'm thinking about mounting my 200 gal. curbside unit in a heavy duty truck, hauling granular fert bags behind that, and building some sort of rig to hold backpacks over the tailgate (folded down), and carrying my spreader on a front bumper mount rig.
    Then carrying my mowing and trimming equipment on a larger trailer, with a mounted feul tank and a small box to keep tools, a chainsaw, and a sickle trimmer in.

Does anyone else do this? or am I trying to put too much stuff on a truck?

Anyone have any pics of a set-up like this.

Thanks, Breck
  2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Ive done similiar at times. I have the curbside 200 gallon, works great. As far as the spreader and back packs and mowing etc. If you have a big enough trailer, use it to carry the back packs and spreader. That is if you feel the need to haul everything at once. Personally, when doing my "small lawn route" I use the hitch mounted spreder holder and put the backpack in the bed with the fert bags and blower, easy this way. When I'm doing large locations, I haul a 16' landscape trailer with z-spray, walk spreader, blower, and all material needed. I don't like the "we carry everything plus the kitchen sink" look. I think its a bit tacky.:)
  3. breckslawncare

breckslawncare LawnSite Member

134 hits and only one of you has an opinion. C'mon
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually carry our spreader, backpacks and fertilizer in the bed of the truck. We dont have a spray tank yet, but we try to do all of the applications on the same day. We have a 16ft landscape trailer to haul our mowers but it is so tight there is no room left. I would just get a long bed pickup and haul the stuff in the bed.
  5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if your going to expand, i would rec getting a ride-on (you can pick up a perma green ultra for a GOOD price), not sure what kind of apps you do in the south, but about the only thing you would need a sprayer set-up for is fungicides, just about everything else small (to small for the ride-on) can be done w/ a back pack or a spreader mounted sprayer.
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

oops, guess your not from the south.. sorry (was typing while thinking of the other post)
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Or even for a push spreader, there are some nice hitch mount carriers that they go into. There are some opice of some on here, somewhere of one that someone made and it was slick. The blower can ride right in the back of the truck when just fert.ing. Also, if you wanted, perhaps rig up a blower rack like they have for trailers and attach it to your bed rail. We built our own hitch mounted (single and double) racks for the push spreaders as well. They worked well. the beauty of these is that there is no lifting of a half empty spreader.
    Here it is....
    Here's another.
    The ones we built had a small piece of channel that the leg went under. Then, when you folded up the gate, it wasn't able to move, and the channel held the rear leg bar down.
  8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

What a blast from the past. I almost forgot what my old rig looked like.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder what ever happened to that CCLawn. That is one sweet lookin' outfit he's got.
  10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Don't plan on mounting anything on your front bumper in massachusetts or you will be meeting the DOT!