1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on Accessing an Inaccessible area

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Georgiehopper, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

I visited a potential client today who wants a 600 square foot paver patio with about $1500 worth of planting. It would be a great job for us except for one problem:

The access is horrible. The house is surrounded on three sides by steep hills...at least 45 degree and thats no exaggeration. The 4th side, which is the area for the patio backs to a lake. There are no access roads or paths.

I'm ready to not bid the job because of this factor but was hoping someone here might have a suggestion about how we could get materials down to the job site...which is behind the house.

I thought about bringing the stuff in on a boat or something, but I'm sure we'd have to get special permission and I don't know what type of boat or raft or whatever we'd need to haul the stuff.

It seems too steep to use wheelbarrows too...and I highly doubt that my Dingo could traverse the incline safely. I have a four wheel drive truck, but I still think its awfully steep.

Any ideas on this one? Or should I just walk away?
  2. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Helicopter..... Think outside the box
  3. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

Use a pontoon boat. You could carry a loader on one if you wanted.
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We had one last year that we built a ramp so the MT50 could go up and down.... we actually picked the side of the house that didn't have steps but existing timber planters....built the ramp to go over them. You could build one so that it was 15% instead of 45.
  5. Georgiehopper

I am considering renting an ATV with a little dump bed on it.. but I'm still leery of how sure footed these things are.
  6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat Toolcat. Hauls 2000 pounds, has 1500 pound (rated) lift capacity. Here, they rent for ~$175/day.

Your other option is a crane. Crane the stuff over the house.

Check into the boat option too. It wouldn't be the first time someone had used one in a site like this.

7. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

I would try a pontoon to bring the materials in, then hire a couple of the strongest guys you can get to do everything by hand. The toolcat doesnt seem much more stable than the dingo. I wouldn't worry about the total capacity of the boat with a loader or dingo on it, but I would worry about the small size bending the boat. Another option might be to try driving the dingo across the hill, with a couple guys holding straps attached to it to stop it from rolling, since it probably wouldn't roll just from driving on the slope, but would from an impact or bump that made the slope in that area steeper.
  8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

charge a whole lot more and use a shovel .
  9. Georgiehopper

Hey Mdirrigation...I intend to use shovels..but that wont help me get three pallets of pavers over the hill which is a good 60 feet long.
  10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You would be surprised at what a Dingo can handle as far as side-slope, even straight up and down slope...

I've had a TX 420 on a slope that was around 70% or so, and it handled it just fine. Sideways and up and down. I would imagine that a 425 or even an MT 50/52 would do the same, maybe even better with the slightly wider tracks.

The Toolcat will handle the hills, up and down, but I'm nut sure about the sideways part....