Need advice on belt getting the belt tight

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Pecker, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a '95 Toro Proline and just put in a new transmission. I need help to know how to get the belt tight enough. The belt is the one that goes from the engine to the transmission pulley. What tensions the belt is a small pulley that is moved in or out and the further in it goes, the tighter the belt gets.

I think I have it tight enough now but the first time I just tried to muscle it. When it started smoking I knew it wasn't tight enough. So the second time what I did is tight the nut enough that the adjuster pulley wouldn't slip. Then I put a big screwer driver on it and had my Dad tap it with a hammer while I tightened the nut. I think it worked becaues the belt is much tighter now.

My concern is: if I have to tighten it more, I don't know how. I'll attach a diagram. The problem is there is nothing to pry against to push the pulley in against that belt. How should it be done?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If its anything like the pulley on our JD all you have to do is turn the nut. As the nut turns it increases the tension on the belt and you don't have to push the pulley against the belt because you could never get it tight enough that way. If you have it adjusted tight as it will go then you need a new belt. Hope that makes sense.

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same exact situation with a Snapper 48 w/b. I changed to a regular nut and bolt, allowing you to put a screwdriver between the head of the bolt and the edge of the slot. One hand on the screwdriver and the other tightens the nut on the bottom. You will get a feel for the amount of tension needed.

4. Pecker

Thanks for the input,
    Unfortunately, it doesn't self-tighten though. It still has room to be tighter.

5. Pecker

The stock nut and bolt I think is set up this way. This is very similar to the method I used. It may have worked - but I still think it could be tighter in my case.

I appreciate your input.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That is correct this is a Toro and I have the same thing, it is a real pain in the arse that stupid pulley with the nut-and-bolt, I keep 1-2 spare trans-belts in the truckbox and have smoked a few, too. You can get it at NAPA is the good news, but $20/belt I think is still cheaper than dealer.

One trick is you can replace the inner belt without removing the outer (blade) belt by simply slipping it through the outer belt pulley, but anyway the real trick is the nut+ bolt pulley crap.

Here is what I do:
    Using a screwdriver, I push the BOLT (on top) sideways and when it's as far as I can get it, I insert the long end of a crowbar into the now-open slot on the deck. Once the crowbar is in that slot, the pulley is wedged solid but you need to search a bit for the right crowbar - You want one with a wide end so as to fill the entire free part of the slot (or most of it) so the pulley don't MOVE on you no more!
    Once you get it that far, you have SOME room but not a lot and in that room you can pry with the crowbar against the bolt and get that pulley nice and tight then you reach underneath and with the 13mm socket+wrench, tighten it with the other hand (QUICK before it moves but careful or it moves AGAIN lol !) So anyway - fill the slot on TOP of the deck with the flat end of a crowbar, then kinda tilt the crowbar sideways as that will wedge it more.

It is a real trick but once you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it.
    Two more things, one is be careful when prying you do not accidentally have a piece of crowbar prying on the pulley wheel as you can dent the belt-guides. Two is you can do this yourself even in the field it only takes a few minutes but always concentrate and do it right the first time, so to speak - It appears every time this adjustment is done, it wears that slot a little bit more and I learned over the years it will wear to such extent that it becomes almost impossible to tighten the bolt enough so that it will not slide. Alas the only mower where this has become a serious problem for me is now 10 years old, the 7-year old is only experiencing mild symptoms of this but it gets worse slow at first, faster later.
    Good Luck!

7. Pecker

Hey Topsites, thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll be putting that technique to practice in the near future. Thanks again.

8. kwelch

kwelch LawnSite Member

What I normally do is tighten the bolt enough so the pulley does not move by hand. Then take a rubber mallet and hit the pulley in the direction that makes the belt tight. Your probably thinking it will just slide back to where it was when you started. But it will stay. Then tighten down the bolt the rest of the way. It works for me.

9. Pecker

My father was trying to tell me to do it this way, but I told him it would just slide back. :help: