1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on bermuda

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 94SupraTT, Apr 12, 2008.

1. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT LawnSite Member

I live 3 miles from the TN/AL border. Bermuda tends to do the best in my area. I'd say my yard is 40% Bermuda and 60% fescue. I understand its normal for the fescue to green before the Bermuda I am worried that I may have killed off part of my lawn (specifically the grass around my pool). The weeds are dying however I'm unsure if the bermuda is going to come back. I used Scott's Weed and Feed about 2 weeks ago and I've been spraying weeds (mostly hindbit) with 24D. I also had some broadleaf weeds that I killed off with MSMA but the majority of everything was killed off with 24D. Is it too early for me to overseed the areas were I have/had bermuda? Will the Weed and Feed I layed down 2 weeks ago kill it? Will the 24D and MSMA that I sprayed this past week kill new bermuda seeds? If so, when should I overseed the bermuda?

Sorry for the long post.
  2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

If you had bermuda last year, you definitely haven't killed it by spraying 24d and spreading weed and feed this spring. Bermuda is just now greening up in my area, and I am south of you. What you had last year will be back.

Mow low and fertilize often and your lawn will be nearly all bermuda next year.
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Zone 7 and my new sod is greening up good, but my existing bermuda is just now coming out of dormancy...you have nothing to worry about...give it another 2-3 weeks.