1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on best mower to buy...

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by wilsonbh, May 18, 2007.

1. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I'm looking at two mowers. Both are older machines. One is a John Deere 330 Yanmar Diesel. Has 1225 hours on the meter and the owner claims it runs fine. It looks pretty good and the mower deck is a 50 inch deck. I can probably get this one for $1500, maybe a little more.

The other machine has 1352 hours and is also a John Deere. It's a John Deere 425 and has a 20 hp Kawasaki engine (water cooled) twin cyl gas. It sports a 60 inch new mower deck. I can probably get this for $2500.

Both machines are in about the same condition on external appearance. They both seem to run ok too. Which is the better machine based on what I've described?

2. nosteiner4me

nosteiner4me LawnSite Member

First off what do you want these tractors to do for you? Mow 1/2 acre or 3/4 acre lot, or 4acre parcel? They are both small for large acreage. From your message and what you said about both....i would have to say go with the deisel one, If no smoke and both seem to run the same with no sputtering on either engine. The deisel has more power than the gas engine and should outlast the gas engine and can run at a lower rpm than the gas engine. The only draw back is the small cutting deck. And it looks to be $1000 or so cheaper. Good luck with your decision......
  3. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I plan to cut a 1 acre lot. Just easy cutting grass. Would be nice to have a bucket on the front but need the mower more.