1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice On Big Bid! Condos

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Steve's Mow & Trim, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

Ok so I got my first call of the season today, and it is for a set of condos. I have not mowed any condos up untill this point so Im new to making a sufficient bid of this sort. It is for a total of 8 condos, It's 4 homes, that have occupancy in each half. The backyards of each of the 4 condos leads downhill to a lake. Each is about 30yds wide by 50-60yds long. The fronts of the condos are around 15X15yds. I would also be cutting a lot that is across the street and leads out to the highway, this is about an acre. There is alot of trimming around trees, and landscaping at each condo building. By the information I have provided what would you suggest would be a ballpark figure for this property. thanks

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

ONe million Dollars!!!!! Fert? Shrubs? aeration? other misc work? Hard to say but would start at around 650-900 a month. pends on what else there is to do.

3. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

How many man hours will it take you?If it needs cleaned up then think about the time it would take to do it once its clean.Then you need a clean up fee.You also need to talk to people in your area to get any thing accurate

4. sildoc

This is true when you bid larger props. Hourly estimates are easier to make ends meet and win bids. This is why I really hate large properties unless they are specailized. Many bids and low bids. Lost one last year that should have been going for 45g plus went for 28 for the year. Oh well may get it back this year.

5. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

When their big it hurts to lose em thats for sure.At least it was a low baller and not a ****** forman.That would be a reflection of you.

6. sildoc

Yeah. I filled the time rather quick and came out alot better but I can tell you It was nice to have one stop and no others for that day. I will up my price this year on the bid and really don't expect to get it again but that is the game.

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

First off- you need to make sure you can handle all of their needs. In my experience you need to bid these types of properties hourly not on a per yard basis. They almost always are looking for the lowest bid so you have to make sure you are still competetive but still remain profitable. Being in one spot with no drive time should account for some price break.