1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on breaking in a new Blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Talon1189, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

Just bought a Redmax hand held blower :) Should I keep away from full throttle usage for the first 5+ tanks of gas or not? The instruction manual does not say a word about breaking the blower in :nono: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

couldn't hurt. atleast do a couple of tanks half throttle.
  3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

its a blower.......:rolleyes:
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well if you are really worried about keeping it below full throttle for a few tanks of gas just secure it somewhere, start it up and move throttle lock to 1/2 throttle, walkaway for an hour and you will be good to go. I always tell myself I am not going to use X piece of equipment at full throttle for three tanks but that never happens. Always too curious about what happens with the trigger mashed.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Put in a mixture of about 98% nitro methane with a twist of about 2% methanol,that ought to do it for proper break in!
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

And your point is what?
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

All 2 cycle equipment should go through a break in period before full load usage. The rings and bearings all need to seat and be broken in for a long life on the engine.

Stihl recommends three tanks full. They all get broken in for us.......................
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I let mine idle for about 10 min and then off I go.
  9. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

I went with your advice her:clapping: I started the blower up and set it outside running for 10 minutes :hammerhead: I am a "take excellent care type of person" with my new equipment :) All other opinions are appreciated :clapping: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
  10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

exactly right .i would take this advice because redmax makes really good equipment and if you do the right thing first up this machine will last a good long while.