need advice on christmas letter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Dec 4, 2000.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

im sending christmas cards out soon and magnets with them but i was thinking of printing out a letter to each of my customers that only wanted biweekly maintenance.i wanted to send them a letter saying im very pleased to have u as a customer but im only provideding weekly maintenance next year a once a month billing fee for your convience. the only problem with that i have about 40 customers for lawns and 20 of them are biweekly the other is weekly .so i might loose alot of customers .any suggestions on how do this or should i not even do this .and what exactly should i say
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I think that this is a bad idea. Christmas is a real tight money time of year for a lot of people. Simply call them in the spring and discuss why you want to switch them to weekly. This way it will be too late for them to call anyone else! Doing this now is simply not good. Wish them the best of a Holiday Season and leave it at that.

3. ronslawncare

i understand what your saying but in the spring do you think i should do this or just keep them on
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Tell them in the Spring (about 1 week before cutting starts) that you will have to take care of them weekly this year. This way its too late for them to go elsewhere. 75% should just give in and stay(if your lucky!) with you. By doing this now:

1) It pisses them off right before the holidays

2) Gives them a chance to get another service.

Just wait till last minute and I hope this doesn't screw up your '01 planning.

But definately don't tell them with a note in their Christmas Card!!!

5. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I agree with Dixie1 Christmas season is not the time. I notify my clients of changes just a few weeks before the season starts. Like price increases or changes in mowing schedule.
    I also agree with you magnets and Christmas Cards. I give out Calendars that you hang on the wall. Most of my clients like them very much. They usually have animals,flowers, or food recipes.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly! Tom hit the nail right on the head! We mentioned something like this in a previous thread. And as far as giving prices, discussing schedule, or any other "business", leave it out of the Christmas card. That's about as tacky as it gets. If you're going to send a card, send it personally. Christmas is a time of Christ not of commercial. (I know it's a little hard to tell these days) A personal touch will go alot farther.:)
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Send them all Christmas cards. Then in Febuary swing the ax on the ones you don't want!
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going with bobs approach. All my christmas cards went out this morning, the letter giving the no-profit accounts the gate will go out in February.
  9. ronslawncare

you guys are all right they would think im a ahole nobody has to tell me about christmas and christ im a 100 percent italion and in my house religion is takened very seriously .but sometimes you are right every1 forgets the true meaning of christmas that would be very tacky .i thank god for this forum see im very religous....
  10. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Good Idea Ron-

You don't want to tick anyone off at Christmas time. We usually wait until early Feb. to send out our renewal notices. Also we send out a survey at the beginning of the year to get an idea of what people think and who is planning on leaving.