Need Advice on Considerations for Large Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kneeboards, Sep 7, 2004.

1. kneeboards

kneeboards LawnSite Member

I am moving to a new 10 acre property with probably about 8 acres of lawn. I am overwhelmed with the options. Obviously I need more than a simple riding mower, but where do you begin with a lawn that big? The current owner has a large rider (maybe a 60" deck or so), but likely will keep it. Family members have suggested the twinstick-type mowers because I have a fruit orchard and tons of trees, flower beds, and various other obstacles. It also sounds like I will need a tractor with a mowing attachment to knock down the really tall stuff (there are 16' weeds in one corner which I want to knock down). Anybody have any suggestions in general of where to start? I have been looking through postings, but didn't find anybody asking about yards this big.

2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

For what it's worth, my parents have a very similar property...10 acres with an orchard and a small grove of trees of which 7 acres is mowed grass. The lot is primarily flat. They purchased a John Deere tractor 28hp liquid cooled diesel, 4 wheel drive with turf tires. They cut with a 72" pull-behind finish mower. They use this tractor for other property maintenance also, so it's a good fit for them. Around the house itself they use a small cheopo rider that they already owned.
  3. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

Assuming you are interested in obtaining a high quality appearance, I suggest you consider a zero turn radius (ZTR) riding mower for a property that big that has a lot of obstacles that you need to work around. I think that is what you are referring to when you refer to a "twin stick" model. To me, that sounds a lot easier than using a tow-behind mower as I cant imagine that they could cut corners very well.

ZTRs are known to be the most versatile in moving around a lot of obtacles quickly. The commercial models should be able to handle overgrowth areas as well if you just use commeon sense. Widths usually extend to 72". Popular brands on this forum include Exmark, Toro, John Deere, Scag, and Hustler to name a few.

Good luck with your decision.