1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on emergency service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PrimeGreen Lawn, Feb 5, 2002.

1. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Just got a customer, wants a very small sod job done. Area is only 300 square feet (town house front yard). This woman is desperate because she has an open house Saturday and wants the yard to look good for potential buyers. It's 40 minutes away from my sod supplier. We only plan to spread sifted top soil and lay the sod on that. Being an emergency-type service, and nobody else she called can do it for weeks, what should I charge? I told her already about $350 thinking she'd blow up at that, but thinks it's fair and wants me to do it. I feel bad because I think it's way too high, but anyway.......what do you all think?

2. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

How can it be too high if she agreed to it? Get paid in advance though.
  3. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Not only agreed to it, but she's taking the day off and paying me CASH! Plus she is down right georgoius!
  4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the house worth $150,000 say?If she sells it on Saturday your $350 is chicken feed.She aint worrying about the cost of your materials etc,she only wants house looking good to show buyers,its obviously worth the money to her.Get there quick and do a good job,the word will spread.Shes probably spent more having the house cleaned up and putting in fresh flowers than on you ,its part of the cost of selling.
  5. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Use your better judgment. Remember things like this come back to haunt you. Would you like to be treated like that? I am not saying not to tack on a couple of extra bucks for a last minute rush job however don't dig deep and rip the lady off. Actually if you feel you can profit at a lower price you can make this potential customer feel good and you yourself will feel good at the same time. When you get done with the job adjust the price accordingly, for what you feel is fair for such short notice. This will make the customer not only appreciate your willing to do the job on such short notice but you were willing to give a fair and competitive rate. Most likely the lady will call you back for more work. I know there is not a lot of grass to cut however you may get flowerbed maintenance jobs out of the deal. Several times I have over priced only to find that I could have done it for cheaper and still would have made plenty of profit. I have used this tactic before and the customers seem to appreciate it and keep calling. Whichever path you elect to take good luck.:blob3:
  6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It's 300 square feet and you're worried about charging her $350???? Heck, that's only $1.16 per sq. ft. That's not ripping her off at all. That's the going rate around here. I don't know where you got the idea that you're pulling a fast one over on her. You and her are both getting a good deal.

Feel thankful, not guilty!
  7. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

If the customer is happy, what's the problem?
  8. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Take the job and get paid. $350.00 seems more than fair for that sod job without even looking at it. You should be out of there in like 3 hrs with picking up the material and everything. Once finished... get your CASH immediately that day, don't let her stall you since she promised to pay you that day. :p
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Jim!:) That is a good price, especially for a rush job.

ERIC ROBERGE LawnSite Member

I am not in the landscaping business, but I do know a few things about selling houses. Curb appeal sells houses.
    She is probably taking the advice of an agent on spiffing up th house to sell quickly. In the scope of selling a house $350.00 is nothing. If you feel guilty just make sure it is one of your better jobs.
    The lady selling the townhouse has got to move somewhere and that somewhere will probably have a bigger yard that needs to be maintained. There are others in the same complex that may like your work and approach you on maintaining their small slice green. Enough customers in small area like that might make you a few bucks.